Oversized Sweaters (Steve Rogers)

You woke up on the day you gracefully had off,today was a lazy day and you wanted to get some writing done.

You wouldn't put yourself as an author, more of a short story and fanfiction writer.
Still, you liked to write, so write you did.
Shuffling out of bed you noticed the absences of a certain super soldier.
It was okay you were used to is by now, Steve would rush off for a mission in the dead of night or during the day without warning. It came with the job and you knew that but the bed still felt, bigger, colder and lonelier without him.
Shimming out of your pj's you noticed the rain that was splattering the window. It looked like you weren't going to leave your apartment anytime soon.
You smiled to yourself, looks like it would be a oversized sweatshirt and cute underwear day.
This is something you did not to often but would not dare to tell anyone else. On rainy days or lazy days, you would thrown on a comfy oversized sweatshirt and a pair of cute underwear and crank out one or two stories.
You smiled to yourself, as you picked up a sky blue hoodie from your dresser, remembering it's origin.

You and Steve had been dating for a while, almost a year.
"Do you want anything from india?" he asked as he packed a pair of pants into his suitcase.
"No thanks Steve, I'm not one really for presents and don't really have a use for trinkets" You answered.
"Oh come on! (name) let me get you something nice!" he insisted
You shook your head in reply, I don't want anything Steve" you protested as he stuffed another shirt into his suitcase.
"But Sweetheart! I want to spoil you, bathe you in tokens of my affection, win over your heart!" he cried and swept you up into his arms.
You laughed and placed a soft kiss on his lips "You've already won my heart" you murmured to him.
Steve squeezed you and placed you back on the bed. "okay" he told you and placed a kiss on the bridge of your nose. "I'm going to miss you" he sighed.
"me too" you replied "But it's only a few days and you'll be back before I know it"
Steve chuckled as he picked up his suitcase and made his way to the door.
"I'm still going to get you something" he told you as he opened the door.
"STEVE!" you protested as he rushed out laughing
"Love you sweetheart!" he called
"Love you too" you sighed exhaustingly back.
Steve ended giving up asking you if you wanted anything because your answer would always be the same. So he instead would bring back souvenirs from missions and tokens of affection whenever he was home.
"Just because I love my best girl so much" he would say, placing the box or bag on your lap and a kiss on your cheek or lips.
He did so with protest from you of course.
'Steve, I can't have you spending so much money on me!" you protested as he walked in the room with yet another bouquet of flowers and probable form of jewelry.
"Sweetheart, I've had a savings bond in new yorks finest bank since 1942," he laughed "I'm loaded"
You grew irritated and finally one day, you snapped.
"STEVE I DON'T WANT ANYMORE JEWELRY OR FREAKING FLOWERS OKAY!?!" you shouted at his as he tried to hand you a bouquet of lilies when he walked through the door.
Steves face fell as his smile faded into a frown and he lowered the bouquet to his knees.
The look of hurt on Steves face, broke your heart.
you rushed over to place your hands on his face and rub his cheek.
"I just wanted to my best girl happy" he told you, sounding extremely hurt
"Oh Steve, i'm sorry" You soothed "It's just that, you spend all this money on me and I don't even like flowers of jewelry"
Steve looked at the ground "Then what do you want?" he asked, still sounding hurt.
"first off" you said softly "I want you to stop breaking my heart because you look like a puppy I just kicked and it's physically hurting me"
Steve smiled slightly and looked up at you
"That's better" you smiled and rubbed a thumb over his cheekbone, feeling the rough stubble that had formed there.
"Second, I really just want the simple thing, things I can use or actually want like, Movies and tv box set's to watch with you like Star trek, hunger games or Sherlock. Or taking me to go see museums and aquariums so I can kiss you there. I want to go out on dates with you and spend time with you. I'll even accept oversized sweatshirts and cute underwear as tokens to win my heart over some flowers that will wilt and die"
Steve looked up hopefully at you, hope and a little determination filling his eyes
"Is that really what you want?" he asked "dvds?"
You shook your head "the details aren't important, what's important is I would rather spend time with you and receive presents I can actually use over something I will never wear and something that will slowly die."
"okay then" Steve replied and wrapped his arm around your waist, pulling you closer to him "I can do that"
"but I will take those lilies though" You murmured to him as you wrapped your hands around the plastic wrapped white flowers.
The next day Steve marched into your shared apartment and plopped a bag on your lap
"Steve I..."
Steve silenced you as he put up a hand "before you say anything, I would check in the bag" He told you, his smile broad.
Eyebrow raised you peered into the bag, a sky blue hoodie greeted you.
You smiled at Steve and he smiled back "better?" he asked hopefully
You jumped up and wrapped your arms around his neck "Better"

You smiled at the memory as you finished the last paragraph on your short story.
You soon realised that it was naering night and you had spent all day on your story.
The sound of the front door opening and closing jarred you from your task and made you look up.
Standing in the hallway was a rain soaked Steve.
A smile broke across your face as you hopped up off the couch and raced to greet your boyfriend.
"Hi sweetheart" he sighed and wrapped his arms around you, cluthich you tightly.
"hey" you whispered back. You grabbed his head and began peppering little kisses across his face and finally placing one on his lips.
"I like your outfit" he mused.
"Thanks" you breathed back "I missed you"
"I missed you too" he replied and scooped you up in his arms, carrying you to your bedroom.
He plopped you down on the bed and then himself plopped down onto the sheets.
His arms reached to find you, once they did he pulled you towards him, your legs running against the roguish fabric of the quilt.
Snuggling into your toros he sighed "I missed you so much"
You smiled and ran your fingers through his hair, feeling the soft strands.
"You should get some sleep" you told him, but he was already asleep.
You smiled again as you pulled the covers around you and him, snuggling further into the covers, letting sleep take hold of you both, the rain pattering on the windows.  

~~~

All  rights go to:

superwholockgames on DeviantArt