Colder Weather (Steve Rogers)

The cold air lingered over the capital of the United States. It hasn't been this cold in a long time, people had told him. For the fall season, at least. Sure, he has been in much colder weather but this was "if you don't wear enough layers, you'll freeze your butt off" cold and it has been awhile since the super soldier encountered the cold. The summer was hot and humid so the transition to this was pretty much taking a toll on everyone.

After being out in this weather for only half an hour, Steve was starting to wish he rode his Harley instead of walking to S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters. His leather jacket did block out the wind and so did his stalking cap, scarf, and gloves but he could still feel the chill go through him like his jacket was made with holes. A shiver went up his spine and huddle himself together more tightly, trying to make the cold leave him be. It did keep him warmer than before but not by much. To his surprise, despite how cold it was and being able to see his breath, there wasn't a single snow flake to be seen. And he would like it to say that way until it's actually winter.

He hoped that none of his co-workers made the same mistake as he did, walking to work in this. And, more importantly, better dressed for it. The sidewalks were almost deserted of people, most going by car or taxi or bus today. Or, more simply, stay at home. Of course, there were still some on the sidewalks. But they were much more prepared for the cold weather than Steve.

Except for one.

Steve glanced to the adjacent sidewalk, his eyes wandering the frost-bitten city of Washington to keep him occupied. Before he returned his eyes back up front, he darted his head to the right. His jaw nearly dropped to see a woman walking done the street with only a long sleeved (Favorite Color) shirt and simple blue jeans in boots. She was hugging herself, shuffling her way along the sidewalk. Steve could see her shaking from where he was standing. Her hands were bright red and so were her cheeks.

He waited for the assembly of cars to go past him before crossing the road to get to the cold woman's side. It didn't take Steve very long to catch up to the woman, she was so cold, her pace was severely affected. And it took Steve to be only a foot away from her to recognize her. "(Name)?"

(Name) literally jumped five feet off of the ground, a startled yell escaping from her. When her feet landed back on solid ground, she almost did the splits thanks to the slippery, freshly frozen puddle that was under her. As she tried to catch herself, she...only made her scrambling worse. If Steve hadn't caught her, she would've face planted into the concrete.

"You alright?"

(Name) nodded and regained her balance, pulling from Steve. She cleared her throat and said behind clattering teeth, "Hello, s-sir..."

Steve smiled, shaking his head. "I've told you before that you could just call me Steve."

"Sorry, si—I-I mean, s-sorry, Steve..." (Name) stuttered, looking down at the ground. She tucked a loose strand of her (Hair Color) colored hair behind her ear, trying to get her nerves to stop.

(Name) and Steve work at S.H.I.E.L.D together, but in two total departments. She is one of the best scientists, besides Fitz and Simmons, her best friends in the department. She hardly see any action, unlike her friends. Ever since they were deployed for some team, the leader still unknown to her but she does know that Agent Ward was with them and so was the Calvary, (Name)'s been the main scientist for S.H.I.E.L.D at home base. Steve actually had missions and well he's Captain America. A legend on base. (Name) and the super soldier had a rare relationship that existed between the two competitive departments, actually friendship. Not a competitive, taunting edge the stereotypical relationship that everyone knew of between the two opposite departments.

Steve worriedly glanced at her bright red hands, nose and cheeks. He was taking his scarf off as he asked the scientist, "What you doing out here in the cold with no layers on?"

"I-I was in a hurry to g-get to the l-lab..." (Name) answered. She blew into her hands and rubbed them together before placing them back under her arms. "I-I was in such a hurry, I forgot w-what the forecast w-was to-to-today. I-I was long gone f-from my a-apartment when I realized h-how c-c-cold it is out h-here..." She made a small chuckle, "F-funny that I-I o-of all p-p-people forget the t-temp out...here..." Another violent shiver went through her, clearly visible for Steve to tell.

"Here." Steve finally unraveled his scarf from his neck, the cold hair hitting the exposed skin like a truck. He placed it around (Name)'s neck, wrapping it around snuggly. (Name) stared at him with shocked eyes, unable to say anything. Her stuttering increased when Steve took off his hat and put on her, making sure it was covering her cherry-red ears. "Better?"

"But...b-but you'll get...!"

Steve raised his hand, making (Name) stop. "It's alright. I'll be fine. I don't want to see one of my friends turn into a Popsicle."

(Name) made a snort of amusement. "Funny to hear th-that coming f-from you." There was a pause before she added, "Cap-Sicle."

Steve sighed at that last part, shaking his head. "You've been around Stark for too long."

(Name) shrugged her shoulders. "Eh, I-I guess. I-I am gr-great friends with P-Pepper, after a-all. V-visiting her m-means visiting h-him."

Even with the loaned scarf and hat, (Name) was still shivering like there was no tomorrow. Steve hesitantly put his arm around her shoulders, pulling her close to him. He failed to notice (Name)'s cheeks getting redder. He rubbed yours arms, trying to get heat transferred to her. "Let's get you out of this weather. HQ isn't far from here."

"O-Okay..." (Name)'s heart was going a thousand miles a second, it almost bursting out of her chest. She had a large crush on Steve, but never dared to confess because she was afraid. Being this close to him...is basically giving her a heart attack. Little did she know that red that was dusted across Steve's cheeks was a blush, for his heart was going the same rate as hers. Little did she know that he loved her, too. From the hottest days, to the coldest weather. They will secretly love each other until one finally has the guts to ask the other.

And it was because of this colder weather.

That they were able to take the first into a deeper relationship. Slowly, but surely.

~They can't wait til then.~

~~~

All rights go to:

RobotToxic on DeviantArt