Fake Marriage (Clint Barton)

WARNING : 4250 words

~~~

  "Agent Barton and Agent (Last) report to Fury." Maria Hill said over the head pieces, provided by SHEILD.

Clint and I have done a few missions together, so this must mean that we are going to be assigned a new mission. We arrived outside the office door at the same time; Clint held the door open for me to enter before him. Fury sat there with two different files on his desk; he was looking out the window.

"The files are for your mission has your name on them and it will be done together. It will take at least 3 months for you to even get the background you will need to complete this. You leave tomorrow morning. Any questions?" Fury didn't even turn around to look at us.

"Sir this says that we are married. And I'm a house wife! No! Nope! Not doing it!" I stand up to walk out.

"Either this mission or I make you babysit Stark. Take your pick Agent."

"You said we leave tomorrow, right?" I turn around with an annoyed smile on my face.

"Yes tomorrow. So pack for a length of time. Barton take a suit for you to wear to "work". (Last) pack some dresses for a party so you can go with your husband. Dismissed." Fury waved his hand to indicate that he was finished with us in his office.

Clint and I walk out, and once the door is closed we just stood there looking at each other. He had this adorable frown on his face you could tell he didn't want to do this just like me. Although this will be better than babysitting Stark. The last time I did that Stark wouldn't stop hitting on me.

"Well I will see you tomorrow Clint." I was walking back to my room here on base. So I could pack my clothes and bathroom supplies. Also get acquainted with my new identity, which I will be using for some time.

Name: Matilda Robinson (if this is your real name sorry...but, you can come up with something else or still use it)
Husband: Adam Robinson
Background:
Matilda is the type of wife who stays home to do the housework. Her husband was just transferred to a different company branch. The new job is located in South Carolina. The couple is a newlywed couple, Matilda has dinner on the table and ready to eat when Adam comes home Matilda's father died when she was little. Her mother is the only family she has left.
Mission Objective:
The CEO of the company is believed to be a Hydra Agent. Get as much information from him without your cover being blown. After you get everything from his computers, wife, and him, get yourselves transferred back. Because it was closer to home and Mrs. Robinson is missing her friends and mother, that and her mom became very sick so she wants to be closer to her family. So she can take care of her mother.
Pictures of the CEO and his wife were also in the file.

"Well that's great I am going to be the reason he gets transferred back. I feel sorry for Adam. He must really love his wife to get transferred back. I am also going to have to fake cry, because my mom is dying." I lay my head done with my face in my pillows. "This is going to be difficult."

~The Next Morning~

There was a car sitting outside the base waiting to take you and "your husband" to the airport. The company is sending someone to pick you up there. Otherwise SHIELD would have taken you.

Fury told us that once inside the first car we are Adam and Matilda Robinson. He informed us that the CEO chose the house so Clint and (First) did not exist. I am to call Maria Hill every week and call her mom. Give an update on how moving went and Adam's new job. She is going to pretend to be my mom. Natasha is my best friend from school I have to call her every other day.

Ever since I got this mission yesterday I have been debating with myself because I can't decide if this is torture or a blessing. See I've had this huge crush on Clint since day #2 of my job. I get butterflies in my stomach and it's hard to talk to him on a normal level. When on missions that is my main focus so no problems with that.

I believe that this is a blessing. It gives me the chance to be with Clint but not really be with him. So I can at least pretend it's real for the short amount of time I get the chance.

Sitting on the airplane and waiting for them to take off was when Clint started getting restless. He was a man of action it was rare to see him in a slow pace location, the plane was moving at a slow pace for him.

"Adam, dear, I know you don't like planes but we will be off soon."

"They need to pick up the pace so we can just land in South Carolina already."

"Adam, sit back and breathe. The company paid for us to take first class, watch a movie or take a nap. We will be there soon. I will be here the whole time I promise."

Clint's face told me he was not going to do the suggested but what can I do tie him to his chair...well I could...No! Bad idea, very bad idea.

Clint sat there with his arms crossed and sulking the whole ride. For you see 10 minutes after we took off he started roaming around and then sitting back down. He crawled over me so many times it wasn't funny. So while he was on his last adventure through the plane I asked the flight attendant is she had some duct tape. And I put it on his chair for when he got back he would sit in it. Being Hawkeye I knew I had to distract him. So he got back and I started a conversation with him while he moved to his window seat. He sat down and talked with me for some time. He then "tried" to get up and walk around again, but something was stopping him. This is where I burst out laughing.

"Matilda what did you do?"

"I taped you to your chair, dear."

"Matilda get this tape off me, now."

"Aww, I get the real name, no nickname, and so demanding. Oh and no not till we land."

"Sweetheart please. I am getting restless."

My heart speed up when he called me sweetheart. "Fine but I am moving to the window seat."

"What!? Why?"

"Because I am tired of you crawling over me. This way you only have to just sit down. That will make both of us very happy."

"You're the best wife you know that."

I giggle at that. I will be hearing that hopefully multiple times during this mission.

~Time Skip~

We have been living together now for 3 weeks. And I have changed the blessing to torture. Every action he does anymore makes me wish this was all true. Sadly it is far from that. I am falling father in love with him. The worse is sleeping in the same bed and waking up to his cute sleeping face.

Although this house work is unbearable. How do people do this every day? I get bored halfway through. The phone calls to Maria and Natasha is the part I look forward to the most. So is going to sleep, Clint's peaceful face is so adorable.

~The 2nd Month~

Every time I think I have seen everything Clint has to offer I am proven wrong. We decided to do the shopping together on the weekend when Clint had the day off. He walked away to look at the different selections of meat. While he was gone some guy came up and was hitting on me. Clint comes back to see me backed up to an aisle telling the guy to leave me alone. I know I was trained to kill but I am undercover as a housewife, there is nothing I can do.

Clint walked up behind him and grabbed his shoulder. "That's my wife! Leave now or you'll regret it." That line made my knees buckle under me. Clint must have seen me, because he pulls me into a hug. "You will not shop here by yourself ever again. We will find time to do this together."

He kept true to his word too.

I have also been keeping a journal of what I did every day. Mostly of what Clint told me every day and how I felt. This is for me to have after the mission and when I can't pretend to be married to him anymore.

~The 3rd Month~

Clint finally got the CEO to come over to our place for dinner. Would have been nice if we went over there. But trust takes time to earn, and we are one step closer. My "Mom" sent us a flash drive to get the information we find on it. I think Maria is enjoying me calling her mom, because I have to do a lot more of what she says.

The CEO's wife and I are getting along famously. So I might get the chance to go to his house and spend some time with his wife. Then snoop around there. But again trust takes time to earn.

Although the plus side is that Clint and I are acting more like a married couple then we were a month ago. He always wants to help me cook dinner for the both of us. Then for this dinner he helped me carry everything out to the table and make it look presentable for the guest.

~The 4th Month~

My Birthday was at the end of the month. Maria and Natasha both called me to tell me "Happy Birthday Matilda!" I would have liked my real name but being undercover comes with a cost sometimes. This time not as high as other missions, but I won't let it get me down.

Clint even managed to get me something. The CEO's wife took me out shopping for my birthday, and we were to get back shortly after Clint got off work. When I walk into the house Clint had (fav. flower)'s in a vase on the coffee table, he had food on the table waiting for me, and also a box wrapped and sitting right next to flowers.

"Welcome Back! Happy Birthday dear." He came over and pecked my lips.

"It's beautiful! Thank you Adam!" I wrap my arms around his neck and give him a kiss on the lips. When I look at his face he was smiling and his eyes held something I have never seen before.

Clint admitted that he didn't cook dinner he just had it delivered from the fanciest restaurant in town. He just had to arrange the food on the plates, and did a very good job at it. When we finished eating Clint walked me over to the couch so I could open my present from him. The box contained a necklace with a heart and an arrow going through it. ()

The necklace was beautiful. I believe the arrow was because of whom he was, and right now it describes what he has done to me. I fell in love with the man who welds arrows and he has struck my heart with one of his, because I love him so much.

~The 5th Month~

I received the information at the house. Clint got the information at the office. We have been placing notes all over the house so we can still communicate without anyone really knowing what we are saying. So if there were cameras in the house they would think they were love note from one another. All that's left for us to do is get the information from the couple themselves. This is going to be the hardest part, because we can't seem too suspicious. Clint and I want to take it one leg at a time, so this way we gather the information over time and if it's a few questions each time neither will be able to put the information of the two conversations together. We will record the vocal tracks on our phones and put the audio on the flash drive for someone to listen to later.

At the end of the month Maria calls me when it's close to Clint coming home and starts to tell me information that I wasn't expecting. She tells me that Clint file only told him that I contained the reason for why he has to ask for a transfer back. So today would be the day to tell him the reason and I had to make it believable. So I have to fake cry now, but Maria helps with it some bit. She starts by saying that she is dying and is very sick. She makes it sound so real, in the time I had been with SHEILD Maria is one of my best friends. So hearing her say that is hard and I don't want to even believe her telling me the truth or not.

Clint came home shortly after to see me crying on the couch. He hugged me tight, "Honey what's wrong?"

"Mother just called to tell me that she is very sick. Adam, what are we going to do?"

"Let me see what I can do about work. Maybe we could go back to New York to visit."

"What if she doesn't get better? Oh Adam I'm scared, I love my mother so much."

"Then I will try to get transferred back so you can be close to her. Is that what you want?"

"But you love it here! I couldn't do that to you!"

"She is my mother-in-law, and you are my wife. I would willing be transferred anywhere as long as you were there."

The process to go back to New York and our normal life has begun.

~The 6th Month~
Either the wife has no idea what her husband really does in his free time or she is really stupid. Although the file I have on her shows that she has a very high IQ, so her husband must be hiding it from her. I have decided to dub her free from Hydra, but I will not overlook her either. I write in my short file to keep a close eye on her actions.

Maria is making it harder for me to keep a calm face when talking to her; she keeps doing things that are making me worried for her. She is really playing this mother being sick bit. There was a day when I called her and Clint was with us at the time, she made me cry with what she was telling me. Clint ended up taking the phone to talk to "my mother" and he knew that if she was going to keep this up we would have to go back soon. He had already started the transfer paperwork, so it was just a matter of time for us to wait.

~The 7th Month~

Clint and the CEO were away for the weekend on a golfing trip to the local Country Club. The trip proved to be the ending factor in his endeavors of proving if the CEO was a part of Hydra or not. It proved that he was and we just needed to get someone into the company to take it down. SHEILD made fast work of it too. Because by the end of the month they took over the whole place and shut it down for good. The paperwork as approved the day before, so Adam and Matilda didn't look guilty of anything other than wanting to be close to a sick mother/mother-in-law.

Once the plane landed in New York Adam and Matilda never even existed. We both rode back to SHEILD base in the same car, but we never spoke a word to each other since we landed in New York.

Back at the base and Fury gets the flash drive from me to look at, he also puts it in the file cabinet marked "Dismantle of Hydra".

Leaving the office Clint and I went our separate ways. I was going to the gym to train, since I hadn't done so in so long. I was feeling very sluggish; being a housewife comes with its own cost.

"It's going to take days to get that shape back. Never going to be a housewife ever again.' I thought as I was walking.

Steve was in there punching the living daylights out of the poor punching bag. I walk past him to get in the locker rooms to change into a comfortable outfit. When I walk out of the room Steve looks at me.

"I thought you were on a mission with Hawkeye." Steve states.

"We just got back. Literally, just walked out of Fury's office."

"Well that's good. How did the mission go?"

"It was a success. A turn out the CEO was really involved with Hydra. Only his wife had no idea that it was happening. Fury is going to send in a different team to officially take him out of the picture for Hydra and that company."

"That's good."

"Yep, so want a sparring partner. I have a lot to catch up on. I haven't been training in months." Steve nods his head and gets into the ring.

We train with each other for 5 hours. I am huffing by the end of the training session. Steve laughs a small bit.

"I must really be out of shape."

"You said that you haven't been training for some time."

"Your right, maybe I should head home for the night and do some more training tomorrow morning. Good night Steve." I started to walk away from Steve, and out the door.

Once out in the hallway I start to walk for the front doors to call it a day. Before I can make it there, Natasha comes up to me. She walks up to me and walks right beside me. We just walk and she looks at me periodically.

"What do you want to talk about Natasha?" We are still walking towards the front of the base, so I could go back to the Tower to shower and sleep.

"You and I are going to talk about the mission. Also did you tell Clint that you like him?" I turn to look around and then shake my head really fast.

"Natasha I am not going to tell him. I know he doesn't like me, so end of discussion." I walk to the door and turn to face her. "Although going to get a couple of drinks at the bar tonight would be good for me. So meet me later tonight so we can get those drinks."

"Then I will meet you in the lobby of the Tower at 8 o'clock tonight, so then we can get some dinner at the bar. We also have to talk about this Clint issue."

"There is no issue; I will meet you at 8 in the lobby."

~Time Skip~

I have showered since my training session with Steve. It is 8:10, and Natasha is late. It's not like her and this is making me worried. I turn around to go back up to the living area so I can see if she is ready to go. While I was walking to the elevator it opened up, but it was Clint that walked out not Natasha.

"Good evening Clint." I look at the flowers in his hands. "So you have a date tonight?"
Clint looks at me, then down at the flowers and back again. "Yeah I do actually. Although, Natasha set the whole thing up. She shoved the flowers into my hands after she made sure I dressed in these nice clothes." Clint was wearing a pair of suit pants, a white dress shirt, also a suit jacket.

"So that's what she is doing. Do you know if she is coming down soon?"

"No, she said she was having a movie night with the guys tonight."

"Really? She promised to take me out tonight." I start to walk over to the elevator to bring her out with me.

"What if I went out with you instead? Because Nat told me that the date would be here by 8:15."

"Well let me stay with you while you wait for her. Then when she comes I will go get Nat for the two of us to go out for our evening."

"Alright, that would be great. Thanks (First)."

We sat there for several minutes, so long that this girl was really late. Clint started to get disappointed, since he was just stood up.

"Clint it is okay, that girl has no idea what she just missed out on." I take his hand and then lead him to the doors. "Since Natasha just stood me up, and your date stood you up, we are going to go out together tonight."

Clint walked around with me and by the end of the night I was drunk. Clint was not as drunk as I was, so he was trying to help me get back to the Tower. When we walked up to the front door he helped me into the elevator, although the movement it was making made me feel very sick. I slumped over and put my head between my legs. Once the ding noise was made Clint picked me up and started to carry me to my room.

Clint puts my feet on the ground so he can open the door and let me walk into the room. "Okay (First) here we are. Can you change yourself into your pajamas? I am going to get you something to help you with the headache you're going to feel in the morning."

"Thanks Clint."

I am changed into my pajamas and waiting on the bed when he walks back in. "Here we are pain killers and water." Handing me the items he begins to walk away.

"Wait Clint!" I run over to him and kiss him on the lips, before I turn around and say "Thanks. Good night, I love you."

Clint freezes in his place. Then slowly turns around and looks at me. "Do you mean that?"

"Mean what?"

"That you love me."

"Of course I do. I have for a very long time. Natasha has tried to get me to tell you for the last year."

"Really? Natasha knows and she didn't tell me."

"Nope wanted me to tell you myself. Like that's going to happen. You don't feel the same way about me, so no point in telling Clint. You won't tell him will you?"

"Of course, I will do anything for you (First)."

"Thanks you're the best. Well good night; I will see you in the morning."

~The Next Morning~

I awake to the smell of food. It smells good yet horrible at the same time. It smells like bacon, eggs, pancakes, and hash browns. They are the greasiest breakfast foods ever, perfect for a hangover. As I go to sit up in bed I can feel everything reject the motion. Before I know it I am running to the bathroom to empty my stomach. Then there is a knocking on the door that awakens the headache I must have gained last night.

"(First)? Where are you?"

"In the bathroom, give me a second I will be right there."

"Here let me help you stand up."

"Thanks Clint but I am just fine."

"Well okay then, I brought you some breakfast. Also some pain medication for the headache you are most likely feeling this morning."

"Thanks, oh and thanks for walking me back. Who knows where I would have ended up if you weren't there last night."

"(First) there is something you need to know."

"What's that Clint?"

"I love you too." He puts his hand on my lower back and on my check, pulling me towards his body. Then he crashes his lips onto mine to give me a kiss. He pulls away before I can respond to the kiss. Looking at him I then pull him down to give him a kiss of my own.

"I have no idea where you are getting this from, but I love you back."

"You told me that last night. Then you also told me not to tell myself about it."

"Oh...no, please tell me I didn't do that?" I put my head on his chest. My checks became so hot that he probably felt the heat come through his shirt.

"Yeah, you did. It was really cute last night."

"You know I have been trying to tell you two to tell each other for a very long time." Natasha was standing in the doorway.

~Extend Ending~

Several days later Clint and I were on a date, the official date.

"I was talking to Nat after that night, and she set the whole thing up. Your date and then standing me up that night. She set the whole thing up so I would take you out and get drunk enough to tell you the truth, yet not know it."

Clint chuckles. "So then I guess we owe her one."

"Yeah, but I am not going to let her know that. I got stuck with a dangerous mission that way."

"I ended up going to Budapest, because I owed her one."

The night went smoothly, and we never told Natasha that we owed her for getting us together. Although she knew that we did and came a calling for mission trading much later. She called it payment for helping us.

~~~

All rights  go to:

TMNTlover20 on DeviantArt