Everything Has Changed (Loki Laufeyson)

You were sitting in the kitchen of Stark Tower. After the destruction of S.H.I.E.L.D. Tony had agreed to let the Avengers use it as a new base. Over the last two years more of the Avengers had also come to live there.

You had joined the Avengers nearly a year ago after you had helped capture one of the most dangerous of men in the nine realms, Loki Laufeyson. A lot had changed since then. Loki had been in a prison for over six months when Fury thought he could be a valuable asset to the Avengers team. Everyone had objected, even though Loki seemed to have changed.

'Loki does not change,' Thor had said. 'No matter how much I want to believe him. He has lied to me about everything. I do not know if I will ever be able to trust him.'

'Don't forget he tried to kill us all at least twice!' Tony had added.

Fury had ignored every objection and had let Loki out of his cell. Over the last couple of months you had started to enjoy his company more and more. Usually he didn't say much, afraid that he would say something to offend you, but you could see in his eyes that he tried to be a better man.

As you were sipping your hot coffee, Loki came walking into the room. The first thing you noticed was his short hair and the normal clothes he was wearing. He had finally decided to truly try to fit in.

'I like what you've done with your hair,' you told him while he was pouring himself a cup of coffee and seated himself opposite of you.

Loki smiled sadly. 'Comes with losing the crazy...'

You looked at him as he took a sip of his coffee and he sighed, seemingly thinking about something. Secretly you felt sorry for him. You knew all the things he had done and what he was capable of and sometimes that scared you. But no one could ever truly be that heartless and evil. Not unless someone or something drove them to it. You were just wondering what had driven Loki...

'You weren't crazy,' you started. 'Just lost.'

'You truly believe that?' Loki scoffed.

'Alright... You were a little crazy. But aren't we all?'

Loki took a deep breath and turned his gaze from his cup of coffee to you. 'Maybe... It seems so long ago... I can hardly remember why I let myself become that way.'

'Everyone makes mistakes, Loki,' you comforted him. 'Even Gods.'

Loki snorted. 'You make it sound like I bought you the wrong birthday gift.'

You laughed. 'True, but I mean what I said. If you can't even forgive yourself, how do you expect others to?'

'You are wise for a mortal... and kind. Why áre you so nice to me, [Name]? I cannot remember being nice to you,' Loki asked seriously. 'I know Fury has told you to treat me as part of the team, but you are the only one that seems to be willing to talk to me outside of missions.'

'Let's just say I know what it feels like to be left out and be judged for things I did in the past...' you swallowed hard.

'Somehow I doubt you tried to take over earth, killing hundreds of people in the process.'

'Touché,' you laughed. 'But there can only be one God of Mischief.'

Loki smiled a little at those words. You really liked his smile. If he would smile more often the others might see that he was truly changed.

'Just know that I'm here for you if you want to talk to someone or just need a friend,' you said sweetly.

Loki seemed surprised, staring at you intensely. 'We are friends?'