Chapter 68

"So uh... How has your day been?" Sauli asks to try to break the ice.

"It's been alright. I got to sleep in so that's a plus," I chuckle. "What about you?"

"It's been good actually. I got to see an old friend which was nice," he smiles. Damn that smile. Gets me every time.
"Oh... Who was the friend?" I ask him. Was possibly a girl with red hair that you kidnapped?

"You probably would know him." I raise my eyebrow to show that I still want to know who it is. "His name is Mason. I met him through his brother which was my age at the time. He was a pretty nice kid."

"What do you mean he was?" Wait... Did Mason kidnap her? I mean it's a possibility.

"Well... I stopped talking to his brother for a while. When we finally met again which was about a week ago he seemed different. I guess he just changed."

I nod, not knowing what to say. It's so awkward to be around him because he cheated on me and has now kidnapped Skyler. Like... This guy has fucked up my life a lot in the past year.

"Do you want something to drink?" He asks, jumping off of the couch we were sitting on.

"Yeah, i'll take some water."

"What? No tequila?" He pokes his head out from around the corner. He let's out a laugh and continues what he was doing.

"Well I have to drive home later. Dying is not on my list of things to do today," I say as I think back to just a couple hours ago.

"That's true." He carries in our drinks and hands mine to me. The room becomes completely silent and the awkwardness strikes again.

"So, remember when I got in that car wreck?" I ask him. Maybe I can get him to reveal something through sympathy.
Sauli nods, an expression of confusion covers his face as he odes so.

"Well... Skyler told me that you came to visit me while I was there but my mom kicked you out. And well I-"

"I'm sorry about that. I just felt so bad," he cuts me off. "I cheated on you and before I had enough courage to apologize you got in the accident and I thought that I wasn't going to be able to talk to you ever again. And I'm sorry that I cheated on you. I met the guy at work and he invited me to hang out one day and it just snowballed. I didn't realize what I was doing until it was too late."

I didn't know what to say. I felt my eyes start to burn but I held it back. Not now. "How did you not realize what you were doing? You lied to me almost every night Sauli. How did something not click in your brain?" I ask, my voice cracking near the end. I knew this was going to be painful but not this painful.

"I-I... I don't know what to say Adam." He says. "What I did was wrong. And... And you don't have to forgive me for that."

"Where's the bathroom?" I ask him.

"Uh down the hall and on the left," he replies.

I race over to the bathroom, just before the tears start dripping down my face. I slam the door and I quickly wipe them away. "No.. Don't let him get to you," I mutter to myself. I look at my self in the mirror, revealing my puffy red eyes.

I shouldn't love him anymore but I do. He made me so happy for so long. And I needed that. I was so depressed and the sudden fame got to my head. But he brought me back to reality.

But when he let me down I found Skyler. When I fell down she helped me back up. She was there when he wasn't.
I take my phone out of my pocket and and check the time. Apparently I had been in this bathroom for 20 minutes. I check my self in the mirror one last time before I leave the small room.

As I walk down the hall the the living room where Sauli is, I hear an odd sound behind a door. It sounds like a can falling off of a shelf and crashing against the floor.

I stop at the door and I ponder on if I should investigate. I decide to do so, putting my hand on the brass door knob. I slowly open it, poking my head through the gap as I do. This door leads down to his basement.

I quickly open more and I rush down the wooden stairs. I don't worry about falling because the light was already on. I reach the bottom step and I hear Sauli call for me. But I keep going.

"Adam?! Don't go down there!" He yells as he runs down the hall.

"Why? Are you hiding something?" I retort as I quickly search around the room. I find the can that fell of the floor and I pick it up. Besides that... There's nothing down here.

"What are you doing?!" He says, out of breath from chasing after me.

"I heard this can fall from the shelf so I wanted to check it out," I say. I turn around and I start to feel this odd sensation in my face. My eyes start to water and feel like I'm about to sneeze. I'm having an allergic reaction.

"Yeah I got a cat," he says while picking up an orange feline.

"Well that explains why I'm sneezing," I chuckle.

He puts the cat down and starts walking up the stairs. I follow behind him until something catches my eye. On the railing there was a long, red strand of hair.

Skyler.

I left it there, deciding not to question Sauli about it.

I followed him up the stairs. We walked back to the living room and sat down. I picked up my drink, thinking of the strand of hair. But we hear a knock on the door. I stay seated while Sauli checks to see who it is.

I watch Sauli's face as he opens the door. His expression plummets into worry.

"So has the asshole been here yet?" The man outside of the door says. I recognize his voice but I can't pin point it. I watch as Sauli's eyes widen, as if trying to tell the man quietly.

"Oh so he has... Or he's here right now...?" Sauli keeps the same face, not wanting to let me and/or him to know something. Suddenly Sauli gets pushed out of the door way and the man walks in. He turns to me and I recognize him immediately, anger spreading across his face.