:: Contagious ::

Whatever Robert taught Genesis these days, in Hazel's eyes it seemed highly contagious.

Of course, the average teen would not have thought about hanging around with a sickly old man in a hospice. Not that Genesis was an average teen anyway; he seemed to be happier avoiding the 'brats' that like to chase him because of his current academic achievements. So when Robert came along and taught Rhapsodos new things, there wasn't a day the old man and the teen were busy doing something when the teen had completed his homework.

To a bystander who weren't aware of their odd friendship, they could have been mistaken for a grandfather who was giving advice to his grandchild.

Most days they would be busy opening books that had to do with many wars in human history, military weapons, and development, to discussing strategic diplomacy. During those days, Hazel was rather overwhelmed on what they were discussing on details such as acronyms she wasn't aware of. It was a glimpse how Genesis lived up to being called a genius in school, and that Robert wasn't the average old man.

On other days, they'd set aside the books and went on their gaming streak which usually meant games like poker, Risk, chess and other mind testing board games were in play. At this time, the hospice volunteer would either join in the fun (if it was a multi-player game), or she would be counting the scores. Old man Robert and Genesis naturally had a ridiculous rival count on how many times they won, came to a draw, and lost.

On rarer days like she was going through the present, they were talking about social relationships. So when the topic about girlfriends arose in their discussions, Robert was taking his time to tease the red-head whether he had one or not. Genesis undoubtedly was not pleased with it at all.

"You know Robert, I don't see whether I have a girlfriend is your business at all," Genesis stated his discomfort for their present topic.

The old man didn't seem to be perturbed at all by the teen's glare, and quipped, "True. But that doesn't mean you should keep on pushing nearly everyone away."

Hazel raised a curious brow as she caught sight of feelings passing through the eyes of the teen. Fear. Hurt. Self-loathing. Reluctance. Another second gone by, Genesis' face was blank. The girl decided that she would act as if she wasn't paying attention and kept her nose in her book she liked reading.

"Hey, I know it's not possible to make friends out of everyone," Robert continued giving the teen advice, "but you can always consider a few acquaintances for extra intel."

Hazel briefly heard a mumble from Genesis, "Not unless you're Zackary Fair."

"What did you say?" the old man asked.

"Nothing," Genesis said more audible this time. He then sighed, "Fine, I'll give 'socializing' a shot. It still means that I don't necessarily have to get a girlfriend."

"Deal."

The next week, Genesis was seen striking up a conversation with nearly every person in the hospice. That left the old man grumbling since he was left mostly alone when he now enjoyed the teen's presence. Hazel was in for a shock that Genesis could be a social butterfly when he wanted to, even to the point that some people weren't wary of him anymore thanks to past pranks.

"You're not going to do anything?" the old patient asked her about his situation.

Hazel pleasantly said in a fake voice, "I've got no idea what you're talking about."

"I know you listened to our conversation last week, Hazel."

"Well don't blame me if your contagious advice worked," she snorted as she rolled her eyes heavenward. "Maybe next time you should be careful what you're teaching him."

Days after when Genesis was back from his 'socializing' the trio went back to their normal activities. Robert didn't seem to want to tread on the topic if one observed prudently. Genesis, of course, was acting like his usual self. Hazel wasn't sure what had transpired then and there.

She only found out more when she and Genesis were walking to the bus terminal on the way home later that night.

"So...," Hazel started off, "am I going to get any explanations why you just went along with the old coot's plan and then a few days later you're back, business as usual?"

Genesis nodded in understanding. "Well, since I've been alone most of my life, it gets difficult to actually be in the presence of too many people."

"So what? You're a natural introvert?" she guessed loudly.

The teen shook his head, "I've had too many people who want me gone, and it makes it hard for me to trust people. Robert just wanted me to look past the suspicions first and be a normal person."

"You do realize that's coming from someone who was a government agent right?"

"Yes."

Hazel sighed, "I still don't get it Genesis."

"The best way to describe it," the redhead motioned, "is that Robert doesn't want me to be too distrustful I can't make meaningful relationships. With what I see of him right now, I think he regrets that he didn't take the chance to enjoy his life when he retired. He's just now at a point where it's too hard for him to reach out to people."

The girl breathed out. Genesis did have a point there. She then shifted to her next question and asked, "Okay, so why did you ignore him in the time you were off 'socializing'?"

At that question, Genesis smirked. "That dear Hazel is because your disciplinary teachings are contagious," he winked at her.

"You're talking like I'm a disease kiddo," Hazel muttered sarcastically. He must have overheard her words at the time too. "But; whatever. The guy could get used to more company if he can follow rules better. Even if in the end it only ends up being just the three of us."

"So other than taking care of Robert for the challenge, why are you still insistent in taking care of him?" Genesis asked a question of his own. "I mean no offense, especially when you're both polar opposites and barely can stand each other."

The girl gave him a thoughtful look, "I guess I just wanted to give a person a chance to die happy. Is that weird?"

"No."

"I'm not doing a good job then, am I?" Hazel asked with a defeated tone.

"Robert just needs more time to get used to you," the teen disagreed on what she thought of herself. "I got lucky because I happened to be at the right time when I saved his life." Genesis then gave her a challenging gaze that teased she was giving up now.

"Damn it Genesis, where did that positive contagious vibe come from?" Hazel exclaimed. She then relented, "Fine. I'm not giving up. EVER. Are you happy?" A nod. "Answer my question please."

"Hmm, just say I learned it from a friend. He's not around anymore, but he was an equivalent of a human puppy," Genesis said mysteriously with a smirk.

'Human puppy, huh?' Hazel thought. She wondered if that person was the same one Robert defined as the guy who 'not-so-impossibly made friends with everyone', and also the person she heard Genesis mutter named Zackary Fair.

"I'm guessing the guy had contagious puppy-eyes too?" she joked.

Genesis chuckled, "You have no idea."