:: Parting Words ::

Genesis knew the subject would come sooner or later.

"Genesis?"

"Hmm?"

"Do you know a way of saying goodbye without saying goodbye?" Robert asked him.

The patient's focus was to the window looking at the endless blue sky. His skin was now paler than the red-haired teen had seen him days, but he seemed to have the urge to finish all his business while he was alive.

Consequently, the teen's focus was off the chessboard, the match somewhat forgotten, and on Robert. "I suppose it depends on who you're saying goodbye to," answered Genesis, as he hesitantly shifted in his seat. Even if Genesis had died before, death wasn't a topic he liked treading on.

The old man chuckled, "I'm bad with parting words."

"I thought you were a CIA agent. You can't figure out something?" was the incredulous reply from the red-head.

"I know too many things." Robert disagreed. "I was asking for your opinion on what may be appropriate...considering you've died before."

Genesis frowned and deadpanned, "I died on the battlefield. Enough said." He didn't exactly have someone to say goodbye to at the time, besides Cloud Strife and his crew of misfits.

"And here I was asking someone who claimed himself to be a poet," Robert teased without missing a beat.

The former SOLDIER shook his head, "I don't think drama or romanticism is your thing Robert. That probably won't go well with you."

Robert, on the contrary, wasn't offended knowing Genesis' blunt response. "Well, I'd like to say goodbye to my son. But I want to let him know it's a happy goodbye, without getting too touchy of the sort." He then sighed. "And I think he has had enough of me saying 'take care of yourself' countless times. I'd like to go in peace, and give him the message that I trust he'll be fine. Just in a more subtle way. Do you have a farewell like that from where you come from?"

Come to think of it, Genesis was slightly surprised when Robert mentioned that. He realized in Gaia there was a farewell like it. "I suppose we do have one," the red-head teen told the old spy. "And it's only two words."

That led to Robert ask, "Which is?"

"'Good night.'"

The elder man's eyes were filled with curiosity, "Is there a tale behind it?"

"Yes," Genesis nodded. "It has to do with the Lifestream. When people or any living creature on Gaia dies, they return to the Lifestream. When a person dies saying 'Good night', it's like saying we'll meet again tomorrow. It's not the final farewell, because when we all die, we'll meet again. You could say, it's a parting as well as a saying of trust. We trust those we're leaving in life to take care of themselves until we meet again."

Robert smiled at the teen thinking the two words with fondness. "I think those are the right words I need Genesis. Thanks."

"No problem," the teen shrugged but he was happy to help his friend out. Genesis then hinted, "I believe it's your turn."

"Eh?" The old man blinked at the board and asked, "When did you make a move?"

"When I was explaining what the farewell meant."

The retired CIA agent shook his head in amusement with an audacious laugh, "Damn kid. You used that distraction technique I taught you. Don't think it'll get you this round."

"Bring it on, old man," Genesis replied with a smirk.

Robert waved a stubby finger at him. "Don't get ahead of yourself, young punk."

To Genesis' disappointment that day, he lost a couple of games, the scores weren't looking good.

Old Man: 12

Genesis: 9

Nonetheless, if that conversation put Robert's heart at ease with his death, the auburn haired teen guessed it was well worth it.