:: Reminiscence ::

It was a project they started the moment that the previous trio knew Hazel would be leaving for her new job in a month. Now that Hazel had left, Genesis was insistent that he and Robert continue it.

Previously, Robert hadn't been all too happy about sharing his memories with other people no thanks to paranoid secret agent mind that his career had instilled him with, but he pushed himself to do it for the sake of the two youngsters anyway. In the process, though, reminiscing actually became a therapy rather than a chore. He enjoyed them and later looked forward to them.

The rules were simple enough. Recall the happiest memories in your life, or recall the most recent memories by starting off with something like: 'Do you remember the time when...'. They would then make a commentary on it and record the conversation. It was like a memento Robert wanted to give to the two youths that they shared memories together once he wasn't living anymore.

Hazel's stories were mostly about her family, her numerous siblings, and her dreams and goals in life. Some were embarrassing stories of her childhood, but most were about her recent struggles trying to land a job.

Some of the memories Genesis retold consisted of his school life and what happened in his foster home although most of them would be what usually happened in the hospice. It wasn't surprising that he hid much of the truth from Hazel. And it was probably a smart thing to not record yourself saying you had memories from another life. Most people would likely write him off as crazy if he wasn't careful about that.

As for Robert, he told them about his happier times during the war when he was off work. In other rare moments, he talked about his real family and how he loved them. There were plenty of regrets for the fact that he wasn't always able to spend time with them, but he cherished the memories of when they did. After a fallout with his son after his wife died, he had hoped that before his death he'd make amends with him.

That particular day, though, Robert had gone all out telling what his boy was like and what he probably did now. He commented on how Genesis reminded Robert of him, adding that if Robert did have a grandson, he wouldn't want it to be anyone other than the auburn haired teen in front of him. If life was kind, Robert had expressed his desire the two could meet one day.

"You don't sound like you want that to happen even if you say so," Genesis commented on Robert's irony.

"Well, life in the CIA can be sketchy at best," the old man reasoned. "If he has enemies, I doubt he would want you to get caught in the middle of it and neither would I. However, I could see the two of you being friends."

Genesis nodded with a shrug but smiled all the same. "I suppose."

Robert then turned the recorder off. He paused for a moment, before he asked, "Is it alright if I asked you something private?"

As the old man expected, the teenager raised his guard and became slightly tense. "What's this about Robert?"

"Calm down, Genesis," Robert sighed. "This is supposed to be about happier things right?"

Genesis shifted in a more relaxed position, but he still seemed a little nervous what Robert was going to ask.

"Go on," the teen ushered the old man.

"What's so interesting about LOVELESS?" he asked, "I've wondered about it and come to a conclusion that it means something personal to you. I don't think Shakespeare would repeat and quote his own works like you do."

Robert had to smile amusingly as Genesis' eyes lit up. Wasting no time, he passionately explained everything he could to Robert on what it was all about. At times like this, the auburn haired teen naturally acted more his age. From Robert's point of view, the poem, at first, had started out as a story of sorts; like an old legend, to be put it more precisely. There were numerous interpretations of it, too, but Robert soon learned that to Genesis the answer in finding the Last Act was a spiritual journey; how after so long he found his cure from the degradation and in return he was willing to be the 'sacrifice' in the end for the Goddess he had met.

"I don't really know what to say," the old man confessed. "Even, after all of that, you're happy about it."

Genesis gave Robert a rare genuine smile. "I never asked for or even deserved a second life, but Minerva gave me that chance. I'm thankful for it."

"Then don't waste it," Robert said.

"I don't plan to."

There was a peaceful silence between them, until Robert asked, "Genesis?"

"Hmm?"

"If you ever visit my grave, will you read all the Acts for me?" the old man requested.

Delighted, the red mage was more than happy to. "Of course, I will. It's a promise."