:: I Know ::

"You're making that face again, Genesis."

Genesis composed himself as he inwardly bit back a wave of sorrow. He lifted the book on his lap to a more comfortable position as if nothing happened. "What face am I making?" he asked with feigned ignorance.

"Like you know when I'll die," Robert replied, unimpressed with a knowing expression on his face.

Genesis sighed. It was at times like this that the teen never liked when he was so sharp-minded. It meant he couldn't hide things from the older man. To a normal person, the blunt statement would have hurt, but Genesis had more than enough time to handle Robert's snappish direct approaches to any situation. The truth at this point was better than a lie.

He hesitated. "I have the Lifestream in me Robert and it's difficult. Just like how I could sense living people, I could also- I know-" Genesis' words stopped there, the rest were stuck in his throat.

Robert didn't need to know the end of Genesis' sentence as it was obvious that the kid knew and even felt he was dying too. The anguish that all too briefly passed through the teen's eyes was one indication it was a struggle for him. Robert wondered if he had caused more pain for Genesis than he wanted to. Despite his teenage body, he still had memories of a past life that would have left most people scarred for the rest of their days.

"I'm not mad at you," Robert said, "but...how long do I have left?"

Genesis' throat felt dry. It was painful for him to say it, but he said, "Less than a month, I think."

Robert, oddly enough, had felt nothing in his heart. His heart was strangely absent from any form of disappointment. Way before he met Genesis, he would have cursed his life for ending in a hospice miserably. But now, he felt different about the whole situation. Rather than mope about it, knowing how much time he had left worked to his advantage.

"Robert?" Genesis called him back to reality, breaking the stillness of the room. There was concern all over the teen's face. "Are you alright?"

"It's fine Genesis," Robert reassured his friend that he was okay, "Thank you for letting me know. It was brave of you." He then pointed to the notepad Genesis had on the desk. "Can you help me plan a few things? There are a few people I may want to get in contact with."

The former commander didn't question Robert's request and was glad that he wanted to do what he could with his time left. He took his pad and pen and wrote word for word the list of things the old man needed to sort out before he was gone.