:: Last Gifts ::

It was the last five days he could spend time with Robert. The former CIA agent was going to spend the last two weeks of his life with his son who was flying over to Chicago that weekend. Since it was a private affair with family and Robert wished to spare Genesis the pain from watching him die, the teen agreed his last day would be the day before Robert's son arrived.

On Monday, Genesis basically helped the old man with anything he needed doing. He listed and bought things that Robert wanted to have stock of during his son's visit. Other than that, it was basically checking through the list they had prepared before. They didn't talk much as Robert was feeling more fatigued than usual and Genesis let the old man rest.

Tuesday wasn't a good day. Genesis felt his heart twisted into a painful knot that morning. Robert asked him where he was and who the teen was. There was a borderline panic that Robert couldn't remember him at all. Thankfully, a few couple hours later his eyes cleared and he was having a usual conversation on politics. The old man ate lunch as usual and slept until dinner. He ate little that night and then slept into the morning. As much as the teen wanted something more, Genesis had to admit that was one day less spending time with Robert.

Wednesday came around and Robert was feeling invigorated than the day before. Fulfilling Robert's request to go to a park, Genesis took care of the transport and pushed his wheelchair as they enjoyed the local park's the scenery. The old man's serene face said it all really. He was content and happy to enjoy the fresh air. In the morning, it was relatively empty save for mothers and their young children visiting it.

"It'll probably be like this," Robert said.

"What will?"

"The cemetery."

"You won't get as many visitors, though," Genesis commented, keeping his voice light.

"It's fine, as long as they're my closest friends and family I won't mind." The old man turned to the teen with a grin, "Between you and me, I'll have something written that's a little poetic on my headstone, as thanks to you."

"You? Poetic?" Genesis asked, disbelieving what he heard.

Robert nodded very sure, "It's going to be subtle, but you'll know when you see it."

"We'll see about that."

Thursday continued with their usual bouts of numerous game boards and historical discussions. But rather than taking them seriously, the two were content to make jokes or laugh at any crazy idea they thought up. When Robert woke up from his naps, they'd watch a comedy, 3D animation movie and did whatever brightened their mood. Worn out completely, Genesis ended up staying over the hospice that night.

Friday arrived too fast for the former SOLDIER. The last day he had time to spend with Robert was less than 24 hours. Rather than feeling depressed, Genesis was determined to let the old retired CIA agent know he accepted that Robert was leaving for good and wasn't going to mourn in front of him. He wasn't going to ask how Robert was feeling. Genesis would leave that to the doctor.

More time passed by with their usual rivalry card and board games, jokes, historic strategy discussions, and rested when they both got tired. While what they were doing was so simple and nothing extraordinary, to Genesis it was the best part of his life on Earth. He felt content, happy, accepted and loved than he had ever been in his whole past life.

Morning turned to noon, then the sun sets. At night, it was the time Genesis had to go.

Robert being subtle at all day hadn't given the teen a single clue to as how he would say goodbye. Perhaps that was for the better; because when Robert started their last farewell, the old man was giving his remaining life savings for Genesis' college fund.

"You're kidding," Genesis said, not believing it.

Robert chuckled, "I don't have a reason to. I'm not bringing any money to the grave. If you're asking about my son, his job has a well-earned paycheck." The old man then gave Genesis what appeared to be a newspaper covered shoebox.

"Inside are all the documents and things I'm passing over to you. Open that in your own time, preferably alone, there are instructions inside of it if you're confused on what to do with it."

The teen was highly uncomfortable as he cradled the box in his hands. "But, I didn't give you anything."

"You've given me more than enough Genesis," the old man disagreed lightly. "Thanks to you, I have my son coming over, a lifetime worth of memories I could enjoy in my last days, and you've given me the peace I could pass on without regrets." He gulped down his grief and spoke again, "I've also noticed in the last month you've never asked how I felt about my illness... Thank you for that. You've treated me like a man going away on a long holiday, rather than someone already on a deathbed. I can't ask any more than to choose your own future and make sure you're happy wherever you are."

This time around, Genesis only responded with a hug. "I'm glad I've met you."

"I'm glad to have you as a friend and grandson," Robert said as he hugged back.

As much as the thought was a shock to Genesis, his heart melted a little as he sat back facing Robert on his bed. His eyes watered, but he didn't let them fall.

"Grandson, huh? I think I'd like that. You're my first family I know and love on Earth, Robert." he sniffled wiping his nose.

The chime of the clock alerted the two that it was Genesis' time to leave and Robert to rest for the night. They both gave each other another warm tight hug before they let go. Reluctantly and slowly, the former SOLDIER helped tuck Robert in the bed and covered him with a blanket for the last time. He carefully inserted Robert's gift box in his backpack, waved his 'grandfather' farewell, and silently made his way out of the room.

"Genesis?"

Genesis stopped at the door and turned his head around, "Yeah?"

"Good night," Robert said his farewell with an amused smirk. 'We'll meet again, won't we?'

Genesis nodded in confirmation as if to say, 'Of course we'll meet again', and smiled back. "Good night, Robert. Sleep well."