Chapter Four- Catch ups and slow downs

The next morning I was all on edge. Was Brad really about to ask me out? Was I finally preparing to get over Connor? Then it dawned on me what today was. 3 years since dad's death. We were going to visit him as soon as we were all up.

I put my hair into a ponytail and pulled on random clothes from the wardrobe, I couldn't focus on appearances today. I walked downstairs, and surprisingly nobody else was up yet, so I made myself a drink, sat on the sofa and watched tv for a few hours.

I started to watch season 6 of Friends which I had conveniently recorded for myself (it's my favourite show) and was on episode 15 when I felt the opposite end of the sofa weigh down.

I glanced over and saw Tristan, watching it with me. I stopped it and decided to have a conversation with my only sibling. But surprisingly, he started it. "So sis, how've you been?" he asked. I couldn't tell him about the possible relationship with his bandmate, not yet anyway, so I compromised by staring at my mug, which was cupped in my hands.

"Kaylee?" he asked again, and I had to answer him. "Tris, I can't make small talk with you. Not today, of all days." I said, really meaning every word. He nodded solemnly and I got up to go and wake up mum. The earlier we go and visit dad the more time we can spend with him.

I ascended the staircase and knocked on mum's bedroom door. She poked her head out and told me she'd be around five minutes, and to wait downstairs for her. It was nice knowing none of the other boys would make a surprise appearance this morning, though. I went back down and sat on the sofa opposite Tristan again, and we had to make small talk until mum arrived and we started the day. As soon as we arrived I started to sob, but this time I had two people supporting me.

Tristan put his arm around my shoulders and mum took my hand. The rest of the day was spent peacefully, and I was fully supported the whole time. It was comforting knowing dad would be happy seeing the family as close as ever. When we arrived back at the house at around 7pm, Tristan had to go to rehearsal at James' house, and mum had to work again. So, I invited Kimmy over.

She arrived an hour later, and we had a real catch up. When the subject of relationships arose, I winced a little. "Anything new?" she asked, not noticing my hesitance. "Well, I thought there might be but then- No, nothing" I concluded. Then, by the biggest coincidence, my phone buzzed signalling a message. It was from James.

'Tristan told me what happened, hope you're okay!'

I smiled and put my phone on the coffee table to reply to later. Then, it buzzed again. This time a message from Brad.

'I hope you're alright, Kaylee. I heard what happened, i'm always here if you want to talk :) x'

I kept the phone in my lap just in case I got any more messages, but nothing. I replied to James and Brad with as much fake enthusiasm as you could fit in a text message then turned my attention back to Kimmy.

"Who was that?" She asked, eyes sparkling. "Just James and Brad, they're asking if i'm alright" she nodded. "Are you?" she asked. I nodded and pulled her into a hug.
"Thanks, Kim, for being there" she looked up at me and smiled. "No problem, kid. Always here" she said with a cheesy smile and thumbs up. It was lucky she said that, because soon enough I needed her more than ever..