Chapter Twenty Four - Unfathomable Emotions

When everyone was up by 10am, Tristan and I turfed everyone out of our house. We had some major cleaning to do. I took downstairs and he took the upstairs, and we were determined to have the house clean by the time mum got home. I put on my iPod as I cleaned, it always made time go quicker. I took one room at a time, and two hours later, I was finished. I decided to have some Kaylee time. 

I got a tub of ice cream from the freezer and sat in front of the tv. As I was scrolling through the channels, I came to the conclusion there was nothing watchable on. I then went through the programmes we had recorded, and clicked on a random episode of Modern Family. I giggled all the way through it, I love that programme. I heard Tristan moving furniture upstairs, and thought it was better to let him handle it on his own. "Kayleeeeee! Can you come help me up here?" He shouted down. "Nah, I think you've got it Tris!" I called up to him. I had no response after that, so I carried on watching. I found tons of episodes recorded, and settled in to watch them.

The fourth episode in, there was a knock on the door. I got up to answer it, and was genuinely shocked to see James leaning against the doorframe. But he wasn't his usual happy, ecstatic self, he was the opposite. "James, are you okay?" I asked him, helping him up as he started to slide down the door. He shook his head, and I helped him inside. "I'll go get Tristan okay" I said to him as he settled onto the sofa. He nodded, and I ran upstairs. I found my brother in his room, tidying rapidly. He turned around and saw me. "Tris, you need to see this" I said, and we both ran downstairs. 

"Dude.. are you alright?" he asked James' limp form with horror on his face. "You need to tell us what's happened, James" I said softly, and he gestured for us to sit opposite him. We did, and he began to tell us. "K-Kimmy dumped me" he blurted out, and held his stomach. Tristan turned and stared at me, and I shrugged. "What? Okay, i'm calling her. Right now" I said, voice shaking, and began to get up. James put his arm out and begged me not to. "Fine. But i'm texting the others to get here" I said and walked off before he could stop me again. I quickly texted the other three, and I got responses pretty quickly.

They all arrived within ten minutes, and we all sat around James. "Whoa James you look awful" Connor said as he walked in. I hit him and he apologised. "What's wrong James?" Cat asked, concerned. "Kimmy ended things" I replied, and her mouth fell open. As did Connor's and Brad's. "Look, I can't stand to see you like this, but Kimmy's my best friend. I have to go see her" I said to James. "I understand Kay, don't worry" he responded weakly, and I got up to search for my keys. When I found them in the bowl on the dining table, I waved to everyone and headed out. 

Not before I was stopped by Cat, though. "Wait, I want to come too. Kimmy's my friend, and I want to know if she's alright too" she said, I nodded and smiled at her and walked back into the living room. "I want you guys to take James out, do whatever guys do to get over breakups" I said to the three that weren't heartbroken. Brad raised an eyebrow. "Ew, not that. Not until we know the full story" I said pulling a discusted face. 

He nodded, as did Tristan and Connor, and Cat and I made the drive to Kimmy's house the next town over. "Oh hello Kaylee, I haven't seen you in a while" Kimmy's mother said sweetly when she answered the door. "Hello there dear" she said to Cat, holding a hand out for her to shake. She did, and we entered. "Kimmy's upstairs, but she's a bit fragile.. about James" her mother told us, and we headed upstairs. I began to wonder how her mother knew about the breakup, because last thing I knew she thought Kimmy was single. 'Wrong thing to focus on Kaylee', my conscience told me. I gently knocked on her bedroom door, and a shaky voice told me to come in.

I did, and Cat followed.Kimmy was laid flat on her bed, head in pillow, and she was sobbing hysterically. "Kim? It's us" I softly said, as I sat next to her. "Is Cat here?" she asked. I gestured for Cat to come over, and she crouched in front of Kimmy. "I'm here Kimmy" Cat soothed, and Kimmy sat up. She sat on the floor, and we followed suit. "James came to me today, Kimmy. How about you tell us what happened." She looked at both us, then hung her head again. "I love him Kaylee, I really, truly do, but it's the best for both of us" she whispered with a tear dropping from her cheek. "I'm no expert in love sweetie but surely if you love each other you stay together?" Cat soothed her. 

Kimmy shook her head and got something out of her pocket. She handed it to me, and Cat moved over so she could see it too. It was a note, but not handwritten, cut up bits of magazine and newspaper constructed to form a message. It was clear and simple- 'Two weeks. Stay away bitch, I called dibs months ago.' it read. Cat cupped her hand over her mouth and Kimmy began sobbing again. "I take it James doesn't know about this?" I asked quietly, nearly in a whisper. She shook her head."He would just overreact. It's better for both of us this way" she said, her voice croaky and hoarse from all the crying. 

I gently took her arm and stood her up. "We're going and telling them right now" I said, and Cat took her other arm, to help her walk without stumbling. She tried to fight back, but she had no strength. I went and told her mother we were taking her to my house for a sleepover, and she agreed and thought it was a good idea. She clearly didn't know the full story. When we got to my house, the boys were just getting ready to leave. I ran ahead and stopped them, whilst Cat struggled to balance herself and Kimmy. 

I recruited Brad and Tristan to help her inside, and they got her inside much quicker than Cat and I would have. Once James and Kimmy met each other's gazes, the atmosphere was a thousand times more awkward. "We know what's gone on" I said to the boys as we all sat down. I passed the note around. When it got to James, he read it over and over. He then threw it to the ground and stood up with so much anger I thought he would topple over, then stormed out, heading who knows where. "Um, i'll go after him" Brad said, and ran out after him.

We all sat in silence as we waited for them to return, and I cradled Kimmy back and forth. "Shh, it's okay Kim, James will sort it" I attempted to say soothingly, which as we all know i'm amazing at (your call there..). Then, Brad came back, and shook his head. "I have no idea where he is, i'm really sorry Kimmy" he said, and Kimmy began sobbing again."We're going to the police" I tried not to let my voice shake as much as I thought it was. I helped Kimmy up, and we all piled into the two cars. I drove in front, and when the boys arrived we all went in together. 

The receptionist was a young girl, around the same age as us, and her eyes lit up when the boys entered. "Oh my god.. You're The Vamps!" she squealed. "Yeah, it's always nice to meet a fan" Tristan acknowledged. "But we're here on behalf of our friend" Brad added and gestured at Kimmy who was sagging in my arms. "What's wrong?" she asked Kimmy, who obviously couldn't answer. 

I gave the note to Tristan, who put it on the desk. "Well off the top of my head i'd say we could run some fingerprint analysis, and maybe some more in depth investigations if needs be" she said to us, seeming to understand the problem straight away. "But we will have to take all of your fingerprints, just to eliminate them from the scan." We all nodded and she and an officer lead us one by one into a secluded room. As she was leading Connor into the room, she said "You know Connor, you're my favourite" then she giggled like a schoolgirl with a bad crush.

I looked over at Brad and Tristan, who were nearly falling over they were laughing so hard. I shot them a death glare and a couple of seconds later Connor returned. It was then Tristan's turn to give his fingerprints, and I tripped him up as he walked past. He laughed it off though. "What the hell was that? I mean I know I have no reason to be all controlling and jealous but still it was way out of order! Out here in front of everyone!" I whispered a little too loudly to Connor. He laughed, then replied "She's just a fan. Oh, and Kaylee, you have every right to get that way". I balanced Kimmy on my arm again before handing her over to Cat. "Really? Because it seems way too early for that" I said to him. "Three years is a long time" he whispered in my ear sending chills through my body. 

Not the time Kaylee. Focus on your best friend. She needs you right now.

I mentally thanked my conscience and went in to give my fingerprints. What fun that was.. (hint the sarcasm). It was a tense wait while the analysis was being ran in the next room. I hugged Kimmy with one arm, and intertwined my fingers with Connor's on the other. After what seemed like years (it seemed even longer to me with the fact the receptionist didn't stop staring at Connor) two officers stepped out of the room. "We've identified the set of fingerprints on the note" one said. We all stood up, bracing ourselves for the answer. 

When it came, nobody knew how to react. Was there even an emotion to describe how we all felt? I highly doubt it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I updated again because the last chapter was really suckish and I felt guilty, so here you go :) x

Once again thankyou for all your comments and support, it means so much I can't explain it, be proud of yourselves for making a lonely author (me) very happy! Even though this isn't in the 'fanfic' or 'romance' charts, the fact that people are enjoying my writing is rewarding enough! x