Chapter Fourteen - The truth comes out

He was still staring at me, and I was looking everywhere but at him. "You've never been like this before, KayKay" Connor said, I assume it was accompanied by a confused look. "Yup, neither have you pal" I said under my breath. He took a deep breath and continued.

"I can't help feeling it's my fault" he said, and placed his hand under my chin, forcing me to face him. "Okay this is too much like the lovey dovey movie crap and I will end up puking all over your shoes if you continue down this road." I said. He laughed, and took a step closer to me. I leant backwards, but his hand was now on the small of my back, so I couldn't get away.

A voice in the back of my mind was screaming 'this is what you've been waiting for three years, what are you doing?' but the opposite, rational side of me was overpowering. "Let's just get this over with, Connor" I said, annoyed I was missing the game. "We need to talk" he said sternly. "I'm confused as to what we've been doing so far" I replied in a flat tone. "About Cat" he added. I sighed and looked to the right, there's no way I could look at him when he's telling this story, but he was still holding me.

"Go on then" I was just saying things to get it out of him quicker, I wanted to go. "She's-" he began. I decided to finish for him. "Your girlfriend. You've been together for years, you figure now is the best time to tell everyone because it's your anniversary blah blah blah".

He pulled away from me, still not letting go, and looked down at me. "What? No, no. The furthest thing from it" he said with a smile playing on his lips. I rolled my eyes and moved his hand from my back, I was getting really annoyed. "The movie crap is overwhelming here, Connor" I moaned. "She's my cousin" he said with the smile taking over his mouth.

"I don't care who she is, the point is you can't do what you did the other day then flaunt a new girl around, when you're probably doing the same with who knows how many others" he looked stunned, then smiled again. "Cousin" he repeated and I sighed. "No time for this" I said to him.

"Do you not want to know why she's here?" I already knew the answer, but decided to humour him for old times' sake. "You invited her, probably on a sightseeing tour I don't know?" I responded. Connor laughed, and dropped the bombshell he'd probably been dying to reveal.

"What? Seriously? You're lying" I said, in shock. "Deadly serious. She's here to see Tristan. Your brother's got some female attention" It was hard to process, but it got through eventually.

"Tristan and Cat?" I repeated out loud as I had done over a hundred times in my head. Connor nodded. "My cuz" He pointed his thumbs towards hiself. "Your bro" he pointed at me. "Huh" I said as the information finally sank in.

"It was the fifth time he's saw her, today. Kind of like their first official date" He added. "Second" I corrected him, remembering the note Tris had left. I just knew he had a date with Cat, it all made sense to me now.

I began to walk away, knowing the information he had set out to tell me, before he grabbed me by the wrist again. "What now?" I asked, with less anger in my voice. "The thing I really meant to say" he admitted. I turned around to find him ridiculously close to me.

"Yo Con, you want to move back a bit there?" I said to a heavily breathing Connor. "I actually don't" he said into my hair.

"Okay, i'll try and work with that" and I stepped back. "I don't know why you're obsessed with that piece of the room but alright" I whispered under my breath.

"When you were with Brad.." he began. I rolled my eyes again. He just couldn't let this go, for whatever stupid reason. I looked at him, and saw pain swirling in his blue eyes. "Yeah?" I replied, curious.

"You know how I was.. around all the time?" I recalled the times when me and Brad were together, and Connor was there all the time, even when James and Tristan were hanging out somewhere else. "Uh.. yeah. That was weird, why did you even do that?" I questioned him, and he bit his lip.

"Well, I was scared that.. if I left he would try something. And i'd never forgive myself if he did, Kaylee" he finished and sighed. I was really taken aback, and had no response. "Never?" I found myself saying before logic caught up.

"Never ever" he whispered in my ear. I shivered a little, and he picked up on it. "Just like that day three years ago" he whispered again, and it bought tears to my eyes. "Aw KayKay.. i'm so sorry, I didn't think.." he stuttered before I stepped into his embrace.

I felt his body tense and relax, and he held me for what seemed like forever, there at the side of James' main hallway whilst everyone else- including Kimmy who had arrived back early from her trip and came straight to see James sometime when Connor and I were talking- were in the living room, watching whatever was on tv I assume, because they couldn't hear the two of us.

Maybe they could see us, though. I felt Connor kiss the top of my head and it made me smile the stupid smile I couldn't hide no matter how hard I tried.