Chapter Nineteen - The sun doesn't always shine..

We all stared at what had just fallen on the floor. Haley reached for it, but Brad was quicker.

"What's this?" he asked her, and she didn't look him in the eye. "It looks like a.." she grabbed it from him, and he didn't move. Haley inched away from him and looked full of regret. Then Brad got up, and walked outside. I nudged Connor, and he nodded. He got up, and looked at James and Tristan. They took the hint, and they followed Brad outside. I stood up and went to sit next to Kimmy. We looked at each other, and shook our heads. Cat broke the awkward silence. "I'm going to get something to eat, anyone care to join me?" Haley nodded, and they went to the kitchen. 

As she got up, it fell out of her pocket again. Kimmy and I stared at it, then we moved to the other side of the sofa and picked it up. As Kimmy held it in her hand, we stared at it. "This is.." her voice trailed off. "A sonogram picture" I finished for her. "Oh my god.. Haley's pregnant" Kimmy said, voice shaking.

In the garden, the boys were trying to figure everything out.

"Dude.. what was it?" Tristan asked Brad, who had his head in his hands. "You know one of those pictures pregnant women get? When they get a scan?" Brad responded shakily, his voice muffled.

" A sonogram?" James concluded for him. "Yeah. It was one of those". The rest of the boys gasped. "Haley's pregnant?" Connor asked. Tristan hit him. "What gives you that idea?" he asked. Connor shrugged in response. Brad hadn't moved since, and the boys all looked at each other in concern. 

They took him from under the arms and stood him up. "Come on man, time to go back inside" James said soothingly. "I can't face her.. I just can't" Brad replied. They ignored him, and took him back inside anyway. Cat and Haley returned with a handful of snacks, and came face to face with the rest of us. Cat came and sat with Kimmy and I, and Haley sat awkwardly on her own. The sonogram picture lay in the middle of the table. When she noticed, she ran over, picked it up and ran upstairs.

We decided to leave her, and try and continue with the movie marathon. Three movies later, everyone was tired. Tristan announced he was going to bed, and headed upstairs. Everyone then disbanded and went home, dreading the next night's party. I went upstairs, calling Haley's name. I got no response, but kept trying. 

As Tristan entered his bedroom, he found a hysterical Haley, rocking herself back and forth. He sighed, and sat beside her. "What are you doing here? You need to go home!" he said a little too loudly for 2am. "I-I can't do that" she said through tears. "And why's that?" he asked, desparately trying to think of a way to get her to leave. 

Haley put her hands on her stomach. "This is yours" she said, avoiding his gaze. He stared at her, eyes wide. "B-But we only-" she cut him off with a nod. "I know, but it's true" she said. "You- You need to go" he announced sternly."But we need to-" "No, we don't." he interrupted her. She nodded and walked out. He spent the rest of the night with his head in his hands.