Chapter Twenty - When life gets you down..

The next morning, when my brother didn't get up, I knew something was wrong. I knocked on his door, but he didn't answer. "Sibling rules, can't get mad" I called as I walked in. I was greeted with the sorry sight of Tris with red, puffy eyes, staring at the ceiling. "What's going on here bro?" I asked, getting increasingly worried. 

"Haley's pregnant with my child" he said, then groaned and turned on his side. I stumbled backwards in shock and hit his wardrobe. "Y-Your child? It's your baby? Haley's pregnant with your child" I repeated out loud. "Yeah do that for seven hours, and you'll be where I am right about now" he said, not bothering to face me. "Oh my god" I said, and he got up, walked past me, and went downstairs. "But Tris, um what?" I said to him, following him downstairs. The rest of the day was spent with me trying to get information out of Tristan.. and it failed. 

The evening came, and I got texts from everyone asking about the party. I told them to come at about 8pm, which from the time I gave up pestering my brother gave me an hour and a half. I ran upstairs and picked out the outfit I had mentally planned out the night before. I showered, quickly put the outfit on, applied makeup and put on matching jewellery, and headed downstairs to wait for everyone else.

Kimmy and James were once again the first to arrive, and they looked amazing, and definitely like a couple. James had on a bowtie that matched Kimmy's dress and his suit, and I thought that was really sweet. "Aw you guys, you're so adorable!" I said to them as they walked past. "Thanks!" they chimed in unison. 

Next to arrive were Brad and Connor, looking really, really handsome in suits. "Looking good guys" I said to them as they passed. "Aw thankyou Kay!" Brad said with a smile and went to sit with James and Kimmy. Connor stopped next to me. "Not so bad yourself" he said, and slipped his arm around me. I snuggled into him for a second, then snapped out of the daze i'm always in around him and focussed on the bigger picture. My brother needed me and I was going to be there. 

Last to arrive were Cat and Haley. A part of me was saddened at how close they seemed to be, and how the revelation would affect Cat too. She's the most considerate girl ever, and doesn't deserve this kind of bombshell at all. To be fair, Tristan doesn't deserve this kind of pressure. And me, I was going to be an auntie, and that was too hard to process in my head. As they both walked in, Cat hugged me, and I felt like crying on her shoulder. I hugged her back, and they both went into the living room.

I felt tears brimming in my eyes, and it must have been obvious, as Connor started rubbing my back and asking if I was okay. I lied and said I was fine, then had to go and check on Tristan. As I knocked on his door he answered this time, and I walked in. I straightened his tie and fixed his hair for him. "Are you ready for this?" I asked him. He sighed and nodded. "Yup, let's go tell everyone i'm gonna be a daddy" he responded. I hugged him, and we went back downstairs. Everyone stared at us, and I took my place between Kimmy and Connor, and smiled at my brother, signalling him to begin. 

"Um, guys, I have a big announcement" he began. Everyone fell silent, and stared at him intently. "As you all know, Haley's pregnant" he continued. I looked at Cat and she was nodding and I wondered how, because she wasn't here when Kimmy and I found out. Then it was obvious, she had been told by Haley herself. "Well.. it's my baby." he concluded. I quickly scanned everyone's expressions, pure shock. 

"Are you serious?" James asked him. "Are you actually serious?" Kimmy echoed. "Dude.. this is just.." Brad couldn't finish a sentence. "Kaylee.. did you know about this?" Cat asked me, looking distraught. "Cat, I-" I was cut off by her running out of the house hysterical. I was about to get up after her, but Connor and Kimmy put their arms across me and stopped me from moving.

"Kay.. it's easier to let these things work themselves out. If you go after her you'll make things worse" Kimmy said. "It's true, KayKay. It's something you have to wait for" Connor whispered. I sighed and let tears roll down my cheeks. "I'm going to fix my makeup upstairs" Haley said, and got up and went upstairs, taking all our gazes with her. "Tris, dude, this is huge" James said, and got up to hug him. Eventually everyone else got up to hug him too. Except me, because I practically hugged him to death when he told me that morning. "I'm going to get a jacket in case it's cold tonight" I said, and nobody really heard me.

As I went upstairs, I heard muffled talking. I realised it was Haley, and she was laughing, hard. It didn't make sense, so I went into spy mode and inched closer and closer to the bathroom. I stood outside against the wall, knowing she wouldn't see me if she turned around. "Seriously babe, they totally believe me!" she said to someone on the phone. I leaned my head further in to get a better quality sound of it. "Yeah.. Yeah i'm going to squeeze this stupid, gullible family for every pound they have. They're so stupid, they're hanging on my every word! They actually think it's Tristan's baby, how is that even possible? And this kid Brad's going to give me whatever I want, he's falling head over heels for me. Don't worry babe, we'll be living the high life soon. Okay, I love you, bye" then she hung up.

I covered my mouth to avoid screaming at her, then noticed Kimmy standing at the bottom of the stairs. She stared at me, and I stuck my hand out to tell her to wait there. I heard Haley turn and begin to head for the door, so I ran into my bedroom. I sat on my bed, and stared at the floor. It must have been for a while, as there were knocks at my door and voices asking if I was okay. 

The door wasn't locked, but nobody came in. I heard footsteps walk away from my room, and then about ten minutes later come back. Connor walked in and saw me in this frozen state. "Are you alright Kay?" he asked with growing concern. "No" I replied. He sat down next to me and pulled me into a very tight hug. "What's happened? If something's hurt you I swear i'll-" I cut him off mid sentence by passing him my phone. "Press play" I said, my voice muffled by the fact I was still crushed to his chest. I recorded the part of Haley's conversation I overheard, as I heard her laughing I thought it would be a good idea. By the end of the recording, he pushed me away from him. 

"It's not Tristan's baby" he repeated over and over. I shook my head. "That evil conniving-" he stopped me mid sentence. "Whoa. Don't taint that perfect reputation" he said. I nodded, took my phone back and started to head back downstairs. As I reached the landing, he grabbed my wrist. 

"Kaylee, don't do something you'll regret" I shook my head. 

"Whatever happens from now on, happens. Don't hold me accountable" then pulled away from him and stormed downstairs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last update for a while- enjoy, and thankyou for reading! xo

I won't be updating until this chapter gets some comments and votes so yeah, you know what to do!