Chapter Twelve - Heartbreak and Apology

The day after, when I went downstairs for some breakfast, there was a note from Tristan.

'Kaylee; got a date, i'll be out all day, don't miss me too much'

I smiled at the note and got myself some cereal. After an hour of thinking the decision over again, I texted Brad to come over. He responded almost immediately, and arrived ridiculously quickly. "Wow someone's eager" I said as I opened the door to let him in.

"That's one word for it" he replied and sat on the sofa. I joined him, and mentally repeated for the final time what i'd rehearsed over a million times already in my head. "Is everything okay?" he asked, seeming genuinely concerned. He was tugging at my heartstrings and he didn't even know it.

"Okay i'm just going to come right out and say this" I stuttered on pretty much every word. "Tell me" he whispered. "I- I don't deserve you at all, Brad. You're the sweetest guy ever, and you need a girl that's on the same level as that" I began. I saw the confusion in his expression and carried on.

"I'm trying to tell you that no matter what you might think now, you're way out of my league and i'm making it easier for both of us now. You won't feel bad about having to dump me when you realise it and meet a girl that's worthy of you. And I won't have to deal with the heartbreak of getting over you after we'd have been going out for weeks, months, years, however long." I concluded and eventually had to meet his gaze. He looked simply unreadable. Then he just.. froze.

I sighed and said the last thing I had rehearsed. "The date.. it felt right because, well, I have no real friends except Kimmy that I see more than twice a year, and to have that closeness with someone made me feel secure and safe. I hope this is making sense to you" I said, my voice trailing off at the end as I realised Brad still hadn't moved.

"Bradley..." I whispered, trying to get through to him. After what felt like forever- which in reality was probably around two minutes- he stretched his legs. "Listen, Brad. I love you.. like a brother, and you're like my other best friend" I leaned in close to whisper this to him to make doubly sure he heard.

"But.." his voice was a croaky whisper. I motioned for him to go on. He lifted his head and looked directly in my eyes. He looked like a scared little child. "I want you to love me like more than a brother" I felt hot tears fall down my cheeks.

"I can't, i'm really, really so sorry, Brad" I replied and leant back to observe him. He hung his head and I once again saw why everyone calls him the baby face of the band, he looked so innocent and childlike. I was breaking him.

"Kaylee..." Brad whispered, that's all his voice could produce. "Yeah?" I responded softly. "There's nothing I can do to change your mind?" he asked. "Brad.. we've talked about this" I replied in a whisper. "I don't want to let you go" he said, tears gleaming from his cheeks, which were turning a soft pastel red.

"You're not. I'm letting you go" I replied with emphasis on the 'you'. He then hugged me tighter than anyone had ever done before. "I love you Kaylee, even if it's not mutual" he finally said, although he was still nuzzled in my shoulder.

"No, Bradley, you don't. You'll know when you're in love. And it isn't with me" I whispered to him and broke the hug. "Check your Twitter." I told him. "There's something you'll want to see." He looked at me suspiciously, then went home, after I helped him clean hiself up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writing this at 2:30.. I teared up, but never mind, I really hope you're still sticking with this story! Feel free to drop a vote/comment or a follow, i'll be forever grateful.

Thankyou for reading! xo