Chapter Thirteen - Meals and Mishaps

I went with Tristan to his band practise, which today was for some reason at James' house. Kimmy had a weekend trip with college so she couldn't come. I just hoped Tris wouldn't forget I was there like he normally did.

When we arrived, the other boys were already there. James and Connor were talking in the kitchen and Brad was talking to a girl in the living room. It made me smile to see him talking to other girls like he did before. As soon as Tristan was noticed by the other boys, they went into the basement to set up the instruments. I and the other girl followed them.

When we were settled, she introduced herself as Catherine, but she preferred to go by Cat. We chatted for a while, about nothing really, up until the boys announced they were ready to start practising. Cat and I shushed, and watched them rehearse.

After the second time, Cat nudged me. I turned to her, and she whispered "I'm so glad Connor invited me, I never thought in a million years he would!" I looked at her."C-Connor invited you?" she nodded and beamed at me. That stung like a million daggers. "Oh, that's nice" I replied and smiled at her.

I hoped my acting skills had improved since a few years ago. After rehearsal was over, they agreed to record the cover in two days time. Me and Cat got to know each other some more, and she's absolutely lovely. Which made it worse. I offered to get lunch for everyone, to which they agreed, and was just heading out the door fumbling in my bag for my car keys when a familiar voice shouted my name.

I shook it off as nobody approached me, but when I closed the drivers' door he got in beside me. "What are you doing here" I said, not even as a question. "I'm just coming to get lunch with you. No need to be rude" he replied with a tone i've never heard from anyone before. "Fine" I muttered loud enough for him to hear. "Just don't distract me when i'm driving okay" I added.

He nodded and fiddled with his hair. I drove to the local McDonalds' drive-thru and ordered enough food to feed an army. As I drove around to the delivery window we had some time to kill, as I saw them preparing our food. "So.. Cat's nice" I said, throwing it out there.

"Yeah she really is" he replied, trying to end the topic. "She said you invited her to the rehearsal" he nodded. "Yeah, I did, I thought she might enjoy it" he stated. "Just tell me straight Connor." I decided to just say it straight. "What do you mean?" he responded. I didn't answer, as our food was ready. I took it, paid, and drove back to James' house.

When we returned, everyone swarmed us and took the food. "YOU'RE WELCOME!" I called after them all. Cat poked her head around the doorway and shot me a grateful smile. She waved at Connor and gestured for him to follow her. "This isn't over" he said playfully as he made his way into the kitchen.

I heavily breathed for several minutes, before Brad came to find me. "Are you alright Kay?" he asked cautiously. "I'm fine, thankyou Braddy" Why did I just call him Braddy? My conscience kicked into gear. 'Kaylee you're so stupid sometimes, you know that?' I nodded in agreement, but Brad just thought it was a part of the breathing.

"Um.. alright. Are you coming for food?" He asked and linked arms with me. "Sure" I responded and he led me into the kitchen where everyone else was, to put it politely, pigging out. It then kicked in how normal Brad was being around me, just like old times. I thanked my lucky stars for that.

After I ate my share of the food, Cat and I offered to take the rubbish out, if the boys tidied the kitchen. They agreed. We gathered everything up, bagged it, and took it to the end of James' seemingly neverending garden path.

We walked back in laughing about a stupid joke she heard the day before, and the boys were all sat around the dining table looking innocent as ever. Cat and I stood in front of them with our arms folded. "Okay, so this is the side of The Vamps your fans see" I said with a raised eyebrow. They all stood up, and James took a step forward. "No, my dears, you all just bring out the worst in us" he said with a fake evil laugh.

Soon enough the house was bustling with activity again, and the boys were going insane. They had improvised a 'new game', which they refused to admit was just tag. As I was finding somewhere to hide from my brother and avoid being tagged (Tristan and I made a pact to always go after each other first when playing games like this, we're a competitive family), someone grabbed my wrist.

I turned around and there Connor was, staring at me. "Ugh do I even have time for this" I muttered under my breath and pulled my wrist free.

"No Kaylee, I really need to talk to you" he said with urgency in his voice. "Fine." I said through gritted teeth, and let him pull me aside from all the chaos. "Okay so talk" I started for him, every instant getting more annoyed.