Chapter 4 - The Mona Lisa and the Labs

When I woke up, it was around seven in the morning. A little late compared to when I normally got up. I rolled of my bed, stood up, and stretched. Much better. I ambled to the bathroom and splashed my face with lukewarm water, which was very refreshing.

Back in my room, I changed into capris and a white t-shirt. I picked up the brush from my dresser and hastily did my hair, putting it in a ponytail. Then I ambled into the kitchen, past the bathroom and Aunt Mae and Uncle Ben's bedroom. I grabbed half a bagel along with my camera, journal, and pencils.

Yummy breakfast.

Across from my apartment was Chase's. I only knew because he came out to go to school at the same time I did. The only difference was that he took the public bus instead of the school bus. Chay said he did anyways. I had no idea why, though.

Boys.

I headed to the newspaper stand immediately after I came out of the building. The most recent one had, on the front page, an article about Osborne Labs' cross-species experiments. I scanned the page until I found the address for the Labs. It was about a half hour's walk from here.

Here! Aunt Mae and Uncle Ben! I pulled out my flip-phone and texted Mae that I would be around the city taking pictures.

Okay, now I'm good to go.

I started jogging down the streets, keeping the newspaper handy.

Eventually, I arrived at the front of Osborne Labs. It was huge, with about one hundred fifty floors in total. I felt myself getting jittery; this was our main source of scientific breakthroughs and technological discoveries. I walked through the swinging doors and into the building.

This was my first time in Osborne Labs, and it was amazing. I wanted to spend all day in here. The first floor was bright and airy, with multitudes of kiosks explaining what Osborne Labs did. I was tempted to take a look, but reminded myself that I had over one hundred more floors to explore.

Ah, science!

Then, I saw something that blew my mind. Chase. He worked here?! What?! I nervously stepped towards him. Wait, no, never mind. That wasn't Chase.

That was just a holographic projection (newest tech discovery, and it was blowing minds from here to China) of him, explaining what Osborne Labs did to a group of tourists. Then, holographic Chase said something that made my heart nearly explode out of my chest: "Chase Mason, the real one, is currently on floor number two, in case anyone would like to speak with him. This is Chase Holo-Mason, over and out."

He disintegrated into a thousand little electronic particles that vanished through the floor.

Oh dang.

I ran over to the elevator and repeatedly pressed the "up" button. Finally, a pair of doors whooshed open and I stepped in. The elevator was crowded from the group that was with Holo-Mason.

With a touch of envy, I noted how clean and sleek this elevator was compared to mine. It was practically the Mona Lisa to my garbage can.

The elevator doors silently slid open and a computerized female voice announced, "Floor two. Have a nice day."

I excitedly shoved my way through the crowd and looked around for Chase. I spotted him over by the railing, looking absently into space.

I walked over, heart pounding. "Hey, Chase. I'm doing an interview for the school's part of the newspaper. Is it okay if I take pictures and interview you?"

He turned his head, looking for all the world as if he had heard me approaching and was just waiting for the perfect moment. "Oh. Hi, Pepper. And, um, yeah, sure. Where do I start?"

Victory is mine!

I smiled. "All you have to do is pose. I'll snap a few shots. Then we'll go from there."

He posed in various positions, looking out from the railing, reading a kiosk display screen, et cetera.

It was photographer heaven.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<·<Pepper_B_Parker*Alias:_Spyder*Position:_S.H.I.E.L.D._agent>·>

Well. Shortest chapter yet. But, hey, fillers are like that. Ah, thanks for reading up 'til here. *sigh* I stink at one-way conversations. Whatever. See you soon!

And another random fact: Guess who owns Osborne Labs?

-_-

·_·

⊙_⊙

If you answered Marcy's dad, you guessed right! If not, well, better luck next time.