Chapter 14 - A New Threat

The next morning I woke up at six. I felt refreshed and unusually happy, with a feeling that today was going to be a great day.

× × × × × × × × ×

Across the city, Marceline twisted and turned in her bed. Her bedroom was plush, pink, and perfect. Aside from the girl herself. Marcy was a picture of a disaster. Her hair was rumpled as she shivered in her bed. Even though she was asleep, she looked angry and deeply disturbed.

Suddenly, Marceline gasped and sat up with a start. Her eyes were narrowed and she had a look of hatred on her face. She shoved her feet into fluffy purple slippers and shuffled down the grand staircase into her backyard.

She opened the gate and purposefully walked to the nearest dumpster. After rummaging around, she pulled out a big black bag marked "Osborne" and dragged it into her yard. Marcy closed the gate behind her and turned to the bag. She tore it open and the clumpy red contents fell right into the firepit.

Marceline smiled and pulled a lighter from her robe pocket. She flicked the switch and a small flame started to devour the pile. She pulled a deck chair from a nearby table and sat contentedly. She loved to listen to the crackle and hiss of the fire. Its magnificent flames leaped and she leaned in.

Suddenly, a strong gust of wind blew the smoke and ashes into her face. She stumbled away, coughing and swatting at the sparks. Her clothes were on fire. She yelled for help, but then remembered that her dad was elsewhere and her mother was sound asleep. Marceline screamed in pain as the flames burned through her clothes and touched her skin. She stumbled towards her house, crying.

"Pepper!" She cried hoarsely. "This is a-all your fau-fault. How dare YOU!"

Marcy crumpled on the porch of her already flaming house and fell unconscious.

It felt like an eternity before she woke up again.

Groaning, Marceline rolled over and rubbed her eyes. She took a deep breath and immediately started to cough and wheeze. She sat up and looked around. Her house was no more. She was sitting in a pile of ashes and rubble. Marceline gasped and pawed the ashes frantically.

"N-no," she whispered. "All I ever wanted was to be noticed. But you were always the one in the spotlight, Pepper. Now you made me do THIS! My HOUSE  is GONE forever!" By now she was shouting. "Pepper! You don't deserve this! YOU don't even DESERVE TO LIVE! I will get YOU!"

Marceline rose to her feet and stumbled back with a cry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<·<Pepper_B_Parker*Alias:_Spyder*Position:_S.H.I.E.L.D._agent>·>

Suspenseful enough for ya? Good.

Keep reading, 'cause this story's a doozy.

Even though it was rather difficult to write from the perspective of my mortal enemy...