Chapter 45 - I Hope So

I slumped down into a chair that wasn't completely totaled, my head spinning.

The Avengers had wandered off, probably nursing their wounds and cursing themselves.

I mean, I would have too, but I didn't want anyone seeing me like this. I was an emotional wreck.

Then, I heard a shuffling noise. I turned towards the source of the noise and found Thor looking out through the shattered windows, his Asgardian cape billowing out magnificently.

Maybe it was just the sun, but there seemed to be the distinctive glint of tears on his face.

Should I go over? Attempt to communicate with an über-powerful being? Was it worth the risk?

Was I ready?

With a sigh, I got up and went over to get a closer look. Turns out, I was right. The mighty Thor, a stinking god, was crying.

Yikes. That's how one knows when things are über-bad.

Apparently, he saw my reflection in the glass, because he turned to face me.

I gulped, my heart in my throat.

"L-Lady Pepper," the Asgardian began. "I did not see you there. Are you alright?"

I bit my lip. "I... I'm not sure." I paused to wipe the tear streams off my face. "But that's none of your business. Anywho, you must be hurt. How about we take a walk down to the infirmary?"

Thor gave me a small smile and said, "I thank you for your concern but, I promise, I am quite fine."

"No problemo, big guy," I murmured.

He put a hand on my shoulder. Though no words came out of his mouth, the message was loud and clear:

Everything will be okay.

×××××××

I stared out over the city -my wonderful, mysterious, fascinating city- with him and thought, I hope so. I really hope so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<·<Pepper_B_Parker*Alias:_Spyder*Position:_S.H.I.E.L.D._agent>·>

Well, well, well. That was (unofficially) the last chapter. Of course, there WILL be a.) a small epilogue and b.) at least one sequel, so there's no need to freak.

I just wanted to thank everyone who is reading this for the support, compassion, and, well, love, that you've all shown me.

Just...

Thank you.

Dang. Why am I so emotional?