Chapter 33 - The Fourth (Mean Green Machine)

Interesting. I could use this newfound talent of mine to... hear many, many things.

Sweeeeet.

But back to reality. My fourth test was supposedly harder than the rest. I just hope it wouldn't be Peter. Don't know why, it'd just be harder to fight a peer, especially with the whole "exact same superpowers" deal.

Then a figure shimmered into existence.

I heaved a sigh of relief. It wasn't him. It was Bruce Banner.

He appeared to be trying to do... something, breathing heavily and squezing his eyes shut. His fists were clenched, and he appeared stiff with concentration. To do what, I didn't know.

I tentatively walked over, not quite sure how to help.

Dr. Banner looked up, his eyes a little greener than usual. "You hurt... Natasha," he said through clenched teeth.

Realization dawned. "I am so, so sorry," I whispered, lightly touching his hand.

He jerked away. "Don't. Get away... now,"

I backed up, a twisting sensation in my stomach. I felt horrible for him. He didn't deserve this. He didn't deserve to have me on his team. Or anywhere near him, for that matter. I felt so... guilty.

All of the sudden, Bruce lurched against the wall. My heart skipped a beat as he groaned. He was fighting the "other guy." I could tell he didn't want to hurt me, but it was too much. He'd be... gone.... replaced... in a matter of minutes.

Sorry, make that seconds.

Grunting, he dug his hands into the wall. Mr. Banner began to grow in size, his fingers crushing the wall. His shirt began to tear.

"No," he growled, still resisting, but it was too late.

He rolled his shoulders as his skin began to take on a definite green hue. He grew to at least ten feet tall, bones cracking and popping, and bright green in a matter of seconds. Gone was the quiet, calm Bruce Banner.

I was dealing with the Hulk now.

Spit flying, it lumbered towards me. Terrified, I crawled up the wall, aiming for the ceiling, but the Hulk wasn't having any of that.

He -it?- easily reached up and yanked me down. I came crashing to floor at his massive green feet.

The bruises I had from the previous tests screamed. My bones shuddered, just barely resisting a break. My blood boiled.

A tear escaped me. This was all wrong. Maybe I wasn't to be an Avenger. Ever.

Then, without warning, I was sobbing on the floor. My tears got my mask wet, but I didn't care. Nobody cared. Not about me, not about poor Aunt Mae, and definitely not about my deceased Uncle Ben.

Why the heck was I crying so dang much?

Hormones, perhaps?

The thought made me cry even harder. It never really sunk in, just how much I'd miss him. No more awkward yet sweet attempts at an uncle-to-niece talk. No more getting the editions of "Cars Monthly" at that cute little Chinese store downtown. No more... Uncle Ben. Ever again.

The Hulk grunted and leaned down to inspect me. The angry glint in his eyes was fading as he turned me over. I was flat on my back, blubbering, staring up into the face of a... monster.

I shielded my face with my hands in a futile move at protection. Using one finger, the monstrosity gently nudged my arms away from my head.

He looked confused, almost worried.