Chapter 10 - Last Day, First Dance

Monday morning came and went swiftly. It was a whirlwind of brushing teeth, combing hair, getting changed, and eating a crushed handful of crackers.

As I slipped on my backpack and opened the door, Aunt Mae swept up behind me.

"Have a nice last day of school, honey," she said.

Then she gently pushed me out into the hallway before I could object and closed the door behind me.

I needed to reach the bus. I couldn't be late on the final day of school! I totally forgot about it, I thought as I raced through the lobby and into the streets.

Totally forgot. Thanks a lot, ya stupid spider.

The school bus was just pulling away as I reached the stop, panting. I had to follow my daily routine of running alongside the bus and banging on the side for someone to let me on.

I heaved a sigh and sprinted for the fast-moving bus. Unsurprisingly, it was easier to keep up, and suddenly I was running alongside the doors. It was usually an effort to keep up with the rear of the bus, but, thanks to that spider, I could run like this for a while.

Heads peered out the windows and jeered at me as the bus driver rumbled obliviously on. Laughing silently, I smiled in their direction when I spotted Marceline. Like usual, she yelled at the bus driver to stop, but he always ignored her. I had no idea what he had against me, but there was definitely something about me that pissed him off. Jerk.

I decided to teach him a lesson. When nobody was looking, I shot a web onto the sliding door and tugged. The door came off with a pop and I jumped on.

The bus driver goggled at me, his unibrow shaped like an "M". I snorted and plopped down in the first seat next to Marceline.

"What happened to the door?" Marceline asked, peering over the top of our seat.

I hid a smile, though I did a pretty poor job of it, and said, "They were, uh, old and rusty and stuff. So I, you know, banged on them. And, then, well, they accidentally fell off, so I just kinda jumped on."

She glanced at me quizically from the corner of her eye, still typing on her phone.

I smiled innocently and shrugged, pulling a book from my backpack. I devoured every word as if my life depended on it. That is, until we got to school. Marceline tapped me on the shoulder and I looked up. Right. I slipped on my backpack and got into line behind the last person. Marceline lined up behind me and we walked into school.

Since it was the last day, we were allowed to bring our bookbags to class. I pushed my way into homeroom a few seconds before the bell rang and slid into a seat near the front. My homeroom teacher raised an eyebrow, but left me alone.

"Now, students," the older teacher started, moving to the front of the classroom. "I know you may all feel wonderful, invincible even, but today is not the end. You all have so much potential, and I want each and every one of you to use it. My wish for you is to become hope... People need that. And even if we end up failing, what better way is there to live? Keep up the good work and never give in. Savor each and every moment, for life is precious. Now, here are your report cards."

She pulled a stack of envelopes from her desk drawer and passed them out, row by row. I didn't get one, though. Then, I remembered that I wasn't going into the next grade this fall. I would have to wait until everyone else left. Fun.

Once all the students cleared and went into the auditorium for the end-of-school dance, my teacher walked over and sat down in the desk next to mine. She was smiling radiantly and held a big yellow envelope in her hand stamped with my name on the front.

I was figeting nervously in my seat, anxious to grab it and go.

"Now, Pepper," she began. "We all know who that speech was for, right?"

I nodded and grinned, my foot tapping away under the desk. "Yep."

She held out the envelope and said, "Well, then, take it, Pepper. I am very proud of you, and you deserve it. Good luck this autumn, dear."

I carefully placed the yellow envelope in my bookbag and zippered it shut. "Thanks, Ms. Jamie. You, too." I slung my backpack over my shoulder and speed-walked towards the auditorium. I was bursting with excitement and couldn't wait to show Marceline, Aunt Mae, and Uncle Ben.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<·<Pepper_B_Parker*Alias:_Spyder*Position:_S.H.I.E.L.D._agent>·>

So... Not a lot to say here, except that it's my tenth chapter.

Woohoo.