Chapter 39 - A (Kind Of) Good Idea

It seemed so... thick. So... caramel-y. I pushed through the wall and stumbled onto the floor.

I shakily stood up and dusted myself off. As I looked around, I realized something was wrong. There was no one else in here.

But how could that be? I saw Peter come in here with my own eyes. I looked closer, and saw... something peeking out from the wall in the far corner.

I slinked over, careful not to make a sound.

So it was him!

Lightning fast, I reached into the wall and grabbed a piece of Spider-Man's suit. I yanked it out, hoping that an entire body would follow. Sadly, it was just his mask. I frowned, crumpling the mask in my hand.

I stuffed it into my pocket, for later use. I mean, Spider-Man couldn't go out in public without his mask, right?

That is, unless he made another one. But how long could that take?

I realized he couldn't go too far without his mask, which was now in my back pocket. I patted it, feeling the still-warm fabric beneath the denim of my jeans. He couldn't have gone too far if his mask was still this warm, right?

Suddenly, I had a marvelous idea. I set off for Bruce's lab.

How did I automatically know which way to go? Well, I was an official Avenger now.

I had all the cool gadgets, including a supersmart A.I. by the name of Jarvis. Pressing a finger against my bracelet, I let the device scan my fingerprint.

"Ms. Spyder," Jarvis' voice rang out from my bracelet. "Access granted. What can I assist you with?"

I loved how... formal... Jarvis was!

"Um, Jarvis?" I started, feeling rather awkward talking to my wrist. "I need the fastest route to Bruce's lab. Can you give me directions as I go?"

"Of course," my bracelet responded. "First, walk out though the wall to your left and turn right..."

And so it continued, until I found myself standing in front of the entrance to the lab.

"Will that be all?" Jarvis asked. "Your heartbeats are quicker than usual. Is something amiss?"

I laughed nervously. "Really? Interesting. I wonder why."

The A.I chuckled. "My best analysis is that you are anxious around Mr. Peter Parker, better known as Spider-Man. Since you are going to visit him soon, I honestly can't say I'm surprised."

I blinked. Then, looking down at my faintly glowing bracelet, I said, "And how, pray tell, did you figure that out? You're just my bracelet."

"Well, miss, I am not just in your bracelet. I am everywhere: in the walls, in every room, in every piece of technology known to man. That is how I know."

I couldn't help but smirk. "Okay. Then can you let Mr. Stark know how amazingly, annoyingly smart his tech is? Yeah... And tell him I hope he and Pepper," I paused, but Jarvis didn't seem to pick up on it. "Tell him that they should go out and drink some of that wine. Got it?"

"Sending message to Mr. Tony Stark now..."

I nearly slipped and fell. Standing up again, I shakily said, "Wh-what?"

"Message send successful!" Jarvis' cheery voice sang from my wrist.

I took my mask off and ran a hand through my hair. "Just great. Now a stinking Avenger thinks I'm some kind of... sarcastic fangirl. Perfect."

"I can assure you, Pepper, that Mr. Stark does not think you are a 'sarcastic fangirl'. I may be wrong, but, based off of current records, I believe he thinks you are one smart little cookie... Except he used harsher language. But that was the gist of it."

My mind whirred, trying to process what the A.I. just said. "Really?" I asked. "That's what Tony Stark thinks of me?"

"Why, of course. And, in my humble opinion, you deserve every bit of it." Then, my bracelet's glow began to dim. "Low... battery..."

"Jarvis?" I asked quickly. "One last thing: No more of this 'Pepper' business, okay?"

"For you, anything, Miss... Sp..."

The bracelet's glow died completely. I noticed that Jarvis' last few words seemed rather... unusual.

I scrunched my mask in my hand, hearing the not-quite-silent sound of fabric rustling.

The A.I.'s voice sounded somewhat more like Peter's than before. And its choice of words was... interesting.

So that could only mean...

Suddenly, the door to the lab whooshed open, and Peter walked out. He looked over at me and casually leaned against the wall.

"So that's whose entire conversation Bruce and I were eavesdropping on!" Peter said with a grin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<·<Pepper_B_Parker*Alias:_Spyder*Position:_S.H.I.E.L.D._agent>·>

Oooh! So, two main things for this chapter:

1.) What's gonna happen next? Are Peter and Bruce going to rat me out to Fury and the rest of the team, or will I be able to convince then to keep my identity a secret?

2.) And why did Jarvis' voice sound a little like Peter's on the last few words? Was it coincidence, or perhaps something more?

Find the answers to these questions and more... in Chapter 40!