Chapter 37 - Too Early, Jarvis

When I woke up, it wasn't voluntary. Yeah, no, definitely not. That stupid, ear-numbing alarm I heard when Fury was torturing me woke me up. And, I can assure you, I was not happy.

At all.

I'm usually a morning person, but if something else wakes me up, not so much.

I rolled over, still in my full costume, amd glanced at the alarm clock.

It read,

5:30 AM
June 29

When I tried to punch it to get it to stop buzzing, it slid down into my bedside dresser, still going strong. I grumbled, getting out of bed.

Suddenly, the intense noise stopped. I looked at the already-fading circles radiating out from my feet. Right. Sensor tech.

"Good morning, Miss Spyder," a rather masculine digital voice rang out. "What can I get you for breakfast?"

I nearly jumped out of my costume. "Who's there?"

"Why," said the voice, chuckling. "I am Jarvis, the Avengers' technological assistant. I was created by Mr. Tony Stark."

Yawning, I reached up to rub my eyes, then remembered I still had my mask on.

"It is okay if you wish to remove your suit," Jarvis said carefully. "I won't tell anyone. I am merely a computer program, albeit a good one."

"Are you absolutely sure?" I asked, already itching to take my costume off.

"Of course I am. Your privacy is my utmost concern."

I pursed my lips, but began to remove my costume. After it was all off, I threw it onto the bed. I hadn't realized how constricting that thing was.

Then I threw on some new clothes from my impeccably stocked closet, a grey tunic with leggings.

"And Jarvis?" I asked.

"Yes, Pepper?" The program replied.

I winced as it said my name. "Spyder, please," I reminded it patiently. "Oh, and I'd like a nice cup of chai and some toast, plain... If that's not too much to ask."

"Oh, it's no trouble at all, Miss Spyder. Your breakfast will be along shortly." It paused. "In the meantime, would you like me to launder and perhaps readjust your suit for you?"

I smiled. "Yes, please. Thank you, Jarvis."

A vacuum sucked my costume up into the ceiling. As it retracted, I could hear it being pulled along the walls of a tube.

Some spider, I thought. Some me.

On a whim, I sauntered over to the bathroom and took a speedy shower. Smelling fresh, I put my clothes back on and ran a brush through my hair.

"Much better," I said out loud to no one in particular.

Suddenly, I froze as I heard muted footsteps directly outside my door.

"Hey," said a muffled voice. "Were you talking to me?"

Oh, crap. It was Peter.

"Uh, no," I said, my voice cracking. "I was talking to... Jarvis."

Peter snorted. "Some friend, that computer program, am I right?"

I rolled my eyes. "Sure. And I bet you talk to it as much as I do, if not more. Am I right?"

Peter stayed silent for a little while. I thought he had left.

"Well, actually, yes. You're right. And Spyder? I've been meaning to talk to you."

I tapped my foot impatiently. What was taking Jarvis so long? "Talk away, webhead."

"No, like inside your room. You know, just the two of us." He said slowly.

I wrinkled my brow, feeling a shiver as he said "just the two of us." What was that all about? I was supposed to get all nervous around Chase, not some guy I met yesterday. I sighed, realizing I had no choice. "Okay, I got the door."

I shot a web at the door. Its motion detectors sensed movement, and the door quietly slid open.

Peter slipped in and the door shut behind him.

He walked over and sat down on the same couch Romanoff sat in, which I found slightly ironic. Maybe even creepy.

I sat down on the same couch I did before, just to show him I, too, could play this game.

Spider-Man reclined on his couch, sighing. I knew what he was doing. He was trying to make me relax, as to help "spill" quicker. It wasn't going to work on me. No matter how much he gazed at me.

Well, it wasn't technically me. Not my face, anyways. Being the genius I am, I left my mask on. So what if it looked a little weird? It was fashionable, and it worked.

"Would you please remove your mask?" He asked, rolling his eyes. "I can't concentrate with that over your face."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<·<Pepper_B_Parker*Alias:_Spyder*Position:_S.H.I.E.L.D._agent>·>

Now, riddle me this: Do you think I remove the mask and show Peter what's underneath? Or do I refuse, making the wise decision, and keep my identity (temporarily) safe?

More suspenseful than you thought, huh?