Chapter 40 - Bloody Schist

This time, I really did trip and fall. "Pe- You and Bruce... What?"

Peter rolled his eyes as Mr. Banner appeared behind him, waving sheepishly.

Suddenly, both pairs of eyes traveled straight up to my face. Bruce immediately looked away, rubbing his neck uncomfortably. Peter, however, studied me carefully, gazing into my...

Oh bloody schist.

My eyes widened and I felt a blush creep onto my face. Nobody was supposed to know, especially not this soon.

He scrunched his eyebrows and leaned in. "P-Pepper? Is that you?"

I could feel myself nodding, but it felt like I was no longer in control of my own body. I was just watching the scene unfold.

Then I snapped back. "How d-d-did you know, P-Pete?"

Stuttering idiot. Just like with Chase.

Hesitantly, he reached up and pressed a button on his earpiece. Slowly, his face melted away and I was looking at Chase's.

My world exploded.

I scrambled back. "But... how? Why? Y-you..."

He pressed it again and Chase's face disappeared, replaced with his own.

"You see," Peter -or was it Chase?- began carefully. "I, unlike the rest of S.H.I.E.L.D., come from... somewhere else. And so-"

"Whoa, whoa," I interrupted, my head beginning to spin. "Where, exactly, did you come from?"

He sighed. "Do you really want to know?"

I nodded, leaning against the wall for support.

"Well, here goes," Peter/Chase said hesitantly. "I'm from an al-"

"Um, Peter?" Bruce butted in, gesturing to me. "Let's keep her identity a secret, for now, okay? And maybe we should give... her... time to adjust to... these recent events. She may need some time before she's really... ready."

I shook my head. "No, no, Bruce. It's okay. I'm fine..."

Suddenly, my vision blurred, and I knew I was fading into unconsciousness. I felt Peter's (Chase's?) arms wrap firmly around mine, catching me as I fell.

Before I did faint, though, I heard:

"Pepper, we're from alternate universes."

His voice was the last sound I heard before I blacked out completely.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<·<Pepper_B_Parker*Alias:_Spyder*Position:_S.H.I.E.L.D._agent>·>

*drops mic*