Chapter 13 - Discovered

After dinner, Marceline left. I headed to my bedroom after clearing the table and closed the door behind me. Grabbing a pen and paper, I scribbled a "Do Not Disturb" message. I taped it onto the outside of my door and locked it, just in case.

After a quick moment of contemplation, I pulled on my costume-turned-suit and opened the window. As I glanced back, I saw that it was now seven. I had three hours at most. I shut my window and climbed up to the roof.

Okay, I thought, surveying the area. Three hours should be enough time to get to Osborne Labs, check on the dying superspider, and return home.

Right?

I jumped off the roof and swung from building to building. It was quite fun, actually. The suit was comfortable, and perfect for blending into the shadows.

I arrived at the Labs fifteen minutes later, which was half the time it would have taken had I walked. Cool. Now, how would I get in? I'm pretty sure security wouldn't like a costumed teen (ahem, me) sneaking in at night. Then, I remembered the roof. I scaled the side of the building quickly and quietly, climbing like, well, a spider. Duh.

A little while later, I reached the top. Talk about a workout!

I padded over to the roof's door and turned the knob. It fell into my hand. Oops. I guess I would have to get used to this new "superstrength" thing. I shot a web at the door and tugged ever so slightly. It slammed open so loud I immediately heard security shouting and stamping up the stairs.

Oh, no. Not now. I'm kinda on a really important mission here, guys.

Hands a-shaking, I pushed the door shut and looked around quickly for a place to hide.

Suddenly, the door whammed open again and five guards came storming out. I froze for a second, then dove for it. This was a horrible idea. They'd find me for sure and turn me in.

I was hanging onto the side of the building, pressing my hands and feet against the cold glass. The experience was absolutely terrifying, but I loved it. Except for the fact that there were at leat five men on the roof above trying to find me. I was still panting a little and had to make an effort to breathe quietly, even though an exhale sounded like a freight train roaring past.

After ten minutes, they were still tromping around the roof. I was getting nervous, and my time was wasting away. I made a hasty decision to come back another night. I mean, the spider was dying, sure, but I felt perfectly fine. I pushed off the side of Osborne Labs and shot out a web.

"Look," I heard a masculine voice shout. "Over there!"

Bleep.

Bleepity bleeping bleep.

Panicking, I let go of my web mid-swing and landed silently on the nearest rooftop. A guard had seen me and was pointing in my direction. Oh, crap. I had been spotted. The other men on the Labs' roof turned to see what he was pointing at. I shrunk up against a wall, feeling as if I could curl up and die.

"Listen, newbie. You can't just joke with us like this." I heard a deeper voice say to the man who had spotted me. "I know you're poor and all, but you have to take this seriously. Do you read me, Mason?"

Mason? As in... Chay-May?

I couldn't help myself; I gasped. I knew Chase worked at Osborne, but as a security guard? I must have not noticed his uniform.

"Y-yes, sir, but I saw... something," I heard Chase stammer. "I know I did!"

The older officer shook his head. "Chase, next time we're lettin' you off. Are we clear?"

Chay nodded his head dejectedly and followed the other guards back inside. Before he closed the door, he poked his head out and took a good look.

Right at me.

He squinted and then waved me over.

Before I could stop myself, I shot out a web and swung onto the roof, landing right in front of him. So this is what having paparazzi felt like! Chase's mouth was hanging below his knees.

"Yes?" I whispered hoarsely.

Mind going blank.

Can't think.

"Wh-what are you?!" Chay-May demanded. "How? Why? Who the heck are you? You're just like the guy, Spider-Man, on the news!"

"I know, but that's a lot of questions," I said quietly, my head feeling numb. "You're a curious boy, you know."

He gaped at me. I laughed gently and patted his shoulder. "Nice meeting you, Chase. Or, should I say, Mr. Mason?"

"Wh- No, how do you know my name? Do I know you?"

Oh, no.

"Um," I said, thinking quickly. "Your nametag makes quite the statement, if you know what I mean."

Close save, Pepper.

He raised an eyebrow skeptically. "Are you sure? You kind of sound... well, almost familiar. Like I know you somehow."

OH, NO.

I shook my head nervously. "Nope. Never seen you in my life. Just met you tonight."

Sheesh. Lying machine.

He shrugged and said, "Huh. Okay, well maybe I could get my friend Pepper to meet you sometime. She loves stuff like this."

I blushed under my mask. Friend? Yes! Hooray to me! "Well, maybe," I said. "I gotta go now. Uh, bye, Chase."

"Okay, bye. I'll see you around, then." Chase replied, waving excitedly.

I shot out a web, leaping off the roof and into the night. I never looked back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<·<Pepper_B_Parker*Alias:_Spyder*Position:_S.H.I.E.L.D._agent>·>

Hi again, peeps! Your friendly neighborhood me here.

So... Uhm...

Chase.