Chapter 42 - A New Skill for the Kill

"Marceline, " I snarled, fists raised. "Get out."

She waltzed closer, peeking over my shoulder. "Who's the newbie? A friend?"

I pushed her away, but my hands screamed. "None of your business," I said through gritted teeth.

Marceline batted her eyelashes at me, pouting. "Well, honey, I'm pretty sure it is."

My ex-friend summoned fire into each of her palms and smirked at me. "Now, please move. I wouldn't want you to get hurt over," Marcy glanced at Peter. "this specimen."

My eyes widened. "If you want him, you have to go through me," I growled, moving in front of Peter defensively.

She laughed humorlessly. "Very well, Pepper."

All of the sudden, her form exploded into a roiling cloud of smoke. And then it began to move towards me.

"How do you like it?" the cloud asked in Marceline's voice, echoing around the room. "It's me, only more so."

Before I could react, the cloud whooshed forward, wisps of smoke reaching out towards Peter like ghastly hands. As I was unable to even touch Marceline, the most I could do was grip Peter firmly around his waist.

Still the cloud came, making odd, snickering noises in Marceline's voice.

I bit my lip, realizing that the Avengers would have been here by now had something not stopped them. I was completely on my own.

Suddenly, a strange hot sensation wormed its way up my legs. I looked down and gasped; the little creep was trying to burn me!

Forced to let go of him, I scrambled back, swatting at the purplish flames. The fire stung like acid, but my suit held. Finally, when those hellish bolts of heat were completely gone, I immediately scanned the room for Peter.

Upon finding he was nowhere in sight, I got to my feet slowly, panting, and stumbled through the rubble. He might just be buried under some... stuff that crumbled off the building, I thought, desperate.

Then I realized Marceline was gone. She disappeared without a trace, which was so unlike her that I could've sworn that it was someone else. But it was her- that, I was sure of.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<·<Pepper_B_Parker*Alias:_Spyder*Position:_S.H.I.E.L.D._agent>·>

Just so you all know: You are nearing the end of this book. There are approximately four actual chapters left. Please do not panic. There will be a second installment. Until then, though, humor me and be patient.