Chapter 7 - Non-School Tests

So. Spider-Face-Guy.

Did I have all the other powers he had?

There was only one way to find out.

Brimming with excitement and about to burst, I left a note on the fridge, saying I would be out investigating, which was true. But I had to find a quiet place to test my theory. I contemplated this as I walked out into the streets.

I looked around, hoping to find a place to test, and found a dark alleyway. Sitting down on a bench and pretending to text on my phone, I watched it for a few minutes. It seemed safe... for a dark alleyway.

After a few moments, I snuck in, and was immediately engulfed in blackness.

Wait. Nope.

Thanks to my superfast senses and reflexes and whatever else, I could see everything as if it were under a spotlight. A really bright spotlight.

Neat.

And that's a check for test number one.

I turned to face the brick wall of one of the buildings, eyeing my relatively normal-looking hands. Time for the second test. Could I climb walls?

Carefully, I placed one palm on the surface, then another. One hand after the other. Grip the wall. Go up.

It felt like I was doing a walking handstand on the floor. I'd never been the athletic type, but it came easily to me, for reasons I couldn't fathom. But a walking handstand's a walking handstand.

Oh. My. Bleep. I was climbing up a vertical wall without any assistance whatsoever.

Scaling walls like it's nothing? Check.

I reached the top without breaking a sweat and pulled myself onto the roof. Grinning, I looked down at my hands again. The hands that were no different than yesterday. Or so I thought.

Mooooving on.

Could I jump like Spidey-Pants? This question was probably the riskiest to test. If I was wrong, this could result in injury, or even death. I stepped back, unsure.

Without realizing it, when I stepped back I fell off the stinking roof.

Ah, sweet memories.

Falling through the air, I instinctively shot my hand out.  Immediately, I felt a jolt and stopped thirty feet from the ground. I shivered, then slowly looked up. I was holding onto a strand of web that was thinner than a pencil. It was attached to an air vent that reached a few feet out over the building I had been climbing.

I was petrified.

My feet dangled in the air. My hair whipped in the wind. My arms were...

Fine?

No strain?

It was then that I realized I could hang like this all day without trouble.

Super strength? Check.

I slowly pulled myself up the string. One hand over the other. Kinda like climbing, actually.

When I was back on the roof, I stepped away from the edge, cautious. I just couldn't risk it again, even though that was amazing.

Now for the last and ultimate test.

I eyed the distance between this roof and the next one. It was roughly ten feet. I backed up as far as I could and sprinted towards the edge. At the last second, I jumped. I was in the air for a moment, then landed on the next roof, a few inches away from the edge.