Epilogue

The day of the funeral was rainy and bleak. It matched everyone's moods perfectly, especially mine.

I was standing next to Aunt Mae, who we had found at long last. She held a black umbrella above, her hands trembling slightly. My aunt and I wore similar black outfits, except I had my suit on underneath, for emergencies.

She was waiting for her turn to go up in front of the crowd and speak, to say a few words about her husband. Right now, we were all watching Uncle Ben's coffin being lowered into the ground. I kept my eyes glued to the coffin itself. It was actually quite beautifully crafted, with polished mahogany wood and simple bronze clasps. Mr. Stark had fashioned it himself, with a little input from yours truly.

I squeezed my aunt's hand, wishing I could tell her everything. I knew that, under all of that sadness, a part of her wondered why the Avengers were here. I mean, family friends and co-workers, okay. That's understandable. But S.H.I.E.L.D.'s most elite? That definitely raised some eyebrows.

However, they all insisted on coming, and I just couldn't refuse.

So here we are, citizens and superheroes alike.

United.

As the last clods of dirt were shoveled into place, as the last flowers were placed on top, as the last goodbyes were whispered, Aunt Mae handed the umbrella to me. Tears streaming freely down her face, she trundled to the front, grasping a paper.

If only I had more time with Uncle Ben. He was the perfect husband, the perfect uncle, the perfect dad. There was so much to talk about, so much to say. I wanted to hear him again, even see him again, just one last time. I don't care if we sat and talked about his red convertible, I just needed to hear his voice one last time.

Suddenly, my phone buzzed. I pulled it out. The screen read, "1 New Voice Mail - Uncle Ben".

My phone did this sometimes, not receiving voice or text messages until hours, even days, later. One of the many perks from having a flip phone.

Biting my lip so hard I tasted blood, I pressed, "Speaker" and then "Listen".

Uncle Ben's voice rang out all over the clearing, bright and happy.

"Hi, Pepper. It's your favorite uncle." He laughs. "I just wanted to tell you how much your aunt and I love you. I know you're going through a hard time now, as an ever-changing teen, and that's okay. I understand. We all went through it at your age. So please, Pepper, don't push anyone away. Cherish the time you have with people, because time is precious beyond measure. I love you, my angel, and don't ever forget that."

Eyes brimming with tears, I put my phone back into my pocket. My aunt shuffled back and I felt her arms encircle me.

"Th-that's exactly what I w-would have said," Aunt Mae whispered to me.

I hugged her back, letting the tears fall freely.

Slowly, I felt more and more hands on my shoulders, comforting me.

I sighed, somehow knowing that, no matter what, I would always have my family.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<·<Pepper_B_Parker*Alias:_Spyder*Position:_S.H.I.E.L.D._agent>·>

That was... that was... quite the ride. Thank you for reading, and be sure to look out your window the next time you see someone swinging by!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<·<Peter_B_Parker*Alias:_Spider-Man*Position:_S.H.I.E.L.D._Avenger>·>

She's so sweet. And, heads up to all her fans: This isn't the end!