Chapter 44 - The Footage

The video started out blurry, but then, with Tony's stroke of the keys, it sharpened.

I could see the Avengers, all of them (well, except for Peter, obviously), sitting around the meeting table.

Fury was at the head, and he seemed to be the one talking. Suddenly, the audio crackled and I could hear what he was saying.

"That Pepper Parker," he began. "She appears to--"

I slammed my fist on the big red "STOP" button- which, in case you all wanted to know, was right next to the "ENTER" one.

"I'm not even listening to this for two seconds," I say quietly, fuming. "And already you're talking about me. You're a creep. Fury's a creep. S.H.I.E.L.D. is just a big-"

Mr. Stark cut me off. "Yeah, yeah, we're all creeps," He said casually, waving his hand. "That's just the way it is. Now, do you want to watch the movie or go back to that war room?"

I clenched my fists but slowly turned back to the screen.

"Shall I resume the footage?" Jarvis asked politely.

"Sure," I mumbled.

"You bet, Jarvis," Tony said at the same time.

I looked up and smirked at him before turning my full attention back to the now-playing video.

"--be a very good choice for the Avengers." Fury turned to Mr. Stark, who was toying with a screen he held underneath the table, as if to hide it. "Is there a problem, Stark?"

The millionaire looked up and shoved the device into his pocket. "No, Fury, no problem here. Please... continue."

Fury sighed and directed the team's attention to a rather large screen that had just turned on. "So, Avengers, I say we let the runt in. All who agr--"

He was cut off when Tony jumped up from his chair, eyes wide, and rushed over to him.

"There appears to be some sort of breach, Fury. It's really, really big," Mr. Stark said, showing him the device's screen. "See?"

Fury waved him off. "It's a glitch. The security is too advanced. Sit down, Stark. Anyways, all in favor of letting the newbie in, raise their hands."

Mr. Stark sat down in his seat abruptly and raised his hand as high as it could go. Hawkeye's hand also went up immediately. After a moment, Thor's hand shot up, too. My heart swelled.

Fury nodded. "Now, all in favor of keeping her off the team and out of S.H.I.E.L.D., raise your hand now."

Natasha's hand went up before he had even finished speaking. "She's too young," She said quietly to Dr. Banner, who was sitting next to her. "Too innocent."

Bruce then tentatively raised his hand, as did Captain America.

"You're right, Romanoff," he said, loud enough for everyone to hear. "Ms. Parker is far from ready."

I grimaced at that. Tony nudged me and I flashed him my best "even-though-I-thought-you-were-a-selfish-jerk-you're-not-all-that-bad" look. He smiled and I turned my attention back on the screen.

Director Fury snorted. "You Avengers always make things hard, don't you?"

He looked over at Mr. Stark, who was gripping his tablet so hard his knuckles were white.

"What is it now, playboy?" Fury asked, sarcasm dripping like venom.

The millionaire hacked into the huge TV screen and played a live video, probably from a surveillance camera.

I did a double take. No way... It couldn't be... Could it?

The video showed an army of angry civilians, slashing kitchen knives and other assorted houseware supplies through the air as they marched.

Leading them was none other than Peter Parker. Well, sort of. His suit was night-black instead of its usual blue and red.

This must be the work of Marcy, I thought to myself, mystified.

And, sure enough, that malevolent, messed-up girl was there, too. She had both hands on Spider-Man's shoulders and, although she was walking behind him, seemed to be the one leading the attack. Marceline's eyes were distant and unfocused, as if she was concentrating very hard on something no one else could see.

My gaze shifted back to Peter. He appeared to be completely under her spell like the rest of the innocents. Then, I saw him twitch once, twice, and I knew he was fighting her.

My heart soared and dropped at the same time, giving me vertigo.

Closing my eyes, I rubbed my temples, each breath seeming harder than the last.

I opened my eyes again, peeking at the screen, and gasped. This makeshift "parade/army" had burst into the meeting room and was descending upon the Avengers.

Everyone assumed their various fighting stances. Except for Dr. Banner, that is. He just groaned and put his fists up reluctantly.

Just before the two sides collided, Peter cast a desperate yet hopeful look, straight at the camera. At me.

I bit my lip as tears came to my eyes. Tony pressed the "STOP" button for me.

"So, Pepsi," he said slowly. "That's the verdict. Any thoughts?"

I had so many thoughts, I couldn't organize them into a coherent sentence. Maybe that was a good thing.

Mr. Stark patted my back awkwardly and steered me back out to the destroyed meeting room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<·<Pepper_B_Parker*Alias:_Spyder*Position:_S.H.I.E.L.D._agent>·>

FYI, you're all a bunch of Romanoffs.

Not Tony Starks. Not even close.

Heh. Just kidding. XD