Chapter 25 - Not Dreaming

Rolling over, I groaned.

"Aunt Mae," I croaked. "How long was I ou-"

I inhaled as a rush of images flooded into my head. They came. Mr. Barton -Hawkeye- SHOT me. Riiiight.

I rubbed my eyes, then slowly began to sit up.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," I heard a distinctly masculine voice say.

I stopped halfway, opening my eyes. I squinted against the bright lights. "Why not? Who are you? Where am I? Where is Aunt Mae? I need to see her."

Starting to panic, I struggled to get out of the bed, but straps flew out and cuffed me down. I slammed my back against the mattress angrily. I, too, can play this game.

Giving several grunts of effort, I strained with all of my might against the metal cuffs. After a few moments, they began to bend.

An alarm started to go off, blaring right in my ears. The noise pounded against my head. Man, was that loud. The sound was really starting to hurt my ears.

"Would. You. PLEASE. Turn that wretched thing off." I said through gritted teeth, my grip on the straps lessening.

"Well," said the same male. "You give us what we need, we'll give you what you need. Deal?"

I shook my head. "I need to make sure you're not, like, some creepo or something. Come in here."

"Now, little spider, is that any wa-"

Another male voice cut in. "Come on, Fury. Give the girl a break. You made Barton shoot her."

"Well, then," said this "Fury" person. "Why don't you go in and talk to her? I'll be sure to videotape this, don't worry."

A door opened, and I heard a switch flick. Immediately, the excruciatingly painful alarm stopped. I relaxed.

With a lot of effort, I managed to reopen my tightly clenched eyes.

I gasped and stumbled back. Well, as much as one can, with one being tied down to a bed and all that. I was staring up into the face of Captain America. Unsuited, of course, but still.

A real Avenger, face-to-face. I wanted his autograph or something, to show to Aunt M-

Reality check. I had no idea where she was. I was confined to this bed-thing, apparently being recorded. Staring up at Steve Rogers, the oldest Avenger.

Right. I inhaled, regaining my composure.

"What?" I said in my best stereotypical-teen voice.

He folded his hands behind his back, pacing, and began to speak. "It has come to our attention that two new superpowered 'soldiers', if you will, popped up in New York City, one of them being you. The others want to study this newer, younger age and determine if they are a threat. I think that children should not have to undergo such a frightening experience."

The Cap paused, looking at me. I shrugged. I was scared inside, but I wasn't going to tell him that, no matter how long he rambled on.

He shook his head. "I can't do this, I'm sorry, guys."

Mr. Rogers flipped another switch and the bonds holding me retracted. I rubbed my wrist. They had really began to dig into my skin, and I was extremely glad they were gone. But also kind of really confused.

"Um... Uh, thanks, Mr. Ste-"

He put a hand out, silencing me. "Not here," he hissed.

I stiffened. "Okay."

Gently, Mr. Rogers grabbed my shoulders and helped me get out of bed. I stumbled and almost fell, but my spidey senses saved me. I ended up on the ceiling, breathing hard, looking down at a very surprised Cap.

"Sorry," I said, dropping to the floor, tens of feet below. "Habit."

"Note to self: Always see the unexpected coming." He said, grinning.

Way to relieve the tension? Yup.

I followed him out of the room. He navigated all over the building. After about half an hour of sneaking around, I was really starting to get frustrated.

"Listen," I whispered.

He turned. "What?"

I sighed. "Thanks for breaking me out and all, but I need to know where we're going. Are we just going to wander around forever?"

Captain America (I still couldn't fully register who I was talking to!) chuckled under his breath and muttered something about "teens these days."

I put my hands on my hips. Luckily, someone had the decency to leave my costume and mask on, so he still had no idea what I looked like underneath.

"We, well, I, am still breaking you out, so save your 'thanks' until the end, please. I respect you, miss, so please don't make me take you by force."

I did a facepalm and said, "Well, that's fine. Just fine and dandy. I'll just be your innocent little follower for the rest of eternity, then."

He looked shocked. "I- um... I didn't- but you... and I thought-"

"That's more than enough, Cap," a semi-familiar voice rang out from speakers lining the hallway. "I'll take over from here, thanks. I mean, you look like you're confusing the girl to death."

"I'm sorry," Captain America said. "I'll see you later, miss."

He trudged down the hallway, heading straight for a wall I hadn't noticed before. Determinedly, Mr. Rogers walked right up to it, and then -get this- he walked right through it.

I ran up and stared at the wall. It seemed perfectly normal... Unless... I tentatively reached a hand out towards the wall. Maybe...

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," the same voice said, right behind me.

Biting my lip, I mentally slapped myself. I was so busy I hadn't even heard him sneak up on me! I spun on my heel and gasped. So that's who it was. I knew I recognized that voice.

It was Tony Stark!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<·<Pepper_B_Parker*Alias:_Spyder*Position:_S.H.I.E.L.D._agent>·>

I was cringing the entire time I wrote this.