Chapter 17

"Okay this it!" Gabriela states excitedly and get out of the car. 

I'm not really familiar with this side of the road but I think we're at the other end of the neighborhood. Where we meet the beginning of the forest. 

It's very big and there's something oddly familiar about this place...

I thought for a minute and then it clicked to me. The set of numerous tall trees and their green branches, this is the same forest I came into few days ago when I was going after Rebecca's dog, Rusty.

What was it called again.

"Fierce Brooks." Gabriela answers my question as if she read my mind and I scan the area. This entrance looks much more different than the one I went to. Surely I can say it looks less scary than the other one.

"When I was little I used to come here almost every weekend with my family for picnic." Gabriela says, looking at me. 

"Let's go." She walks in. 

I grab my Nikon camera and follow behind her. She begins to take some pictures as we're in a good one mile deep in. 

I start snapping some clear shots as well. Taking in every scene that I find nice. Also the sunset is perfect set right now. The mix of orange, red, and pink colors are smeared across the sky like a painting.

"I think we took enough now." I say after what seems like a hour or two pass by. It's after six and it's already getting dark.

"No wait. There's one more place." she says walking further in. The trees here are bigger and the grass are also so tall that some reaches close to my mid thigh. Some even further high.

"Gabriela I don't think it's a good idea to go to the middle of the forest." I say and pause.

She turns to me. "Why?"

"There could be wild animals in there." I say and she laughs.

"Don't worry we're not even in middle of it yet. In matter of fact we're not even close to it."

"But it's already getting dark." I point out and check the time again. 6:53.

"I know but we're so close now! I promise it won't be that long." she says and begin walking again. I sigh and wait for few seconds before following her. I make sure to look at where we came from the beginning so that we won't get lost.

"What are we looking for anyway?" I ask.

She doesn't answer.

"Gabs?"

"This." She responds and step aside so I could see.

My eyes widen at the view. It's an enormous tree surrounded by numerous colors of leaves.

I've never seen anything like this before. 

Of course I've seen trees but not something as majestic as this.

I run my hand across the many lines of the elderly tree which held countless branches.

"Beautiful isn't." Gabriela asks after a quiet minute of staring.

I nod.

"Okay let's take some pictures and then we head out okay?"

"Alright."

After reasonably twenty to thirty pictures we've decided it's a wrap. 

The leaves crunches beneath our shoes. The wind has picked up a bit and in far distance I could hear the faint sound of thunder rolling.