i. trial

« TRIAL »

Lillian thought she was ready for the hearing, but when she stepped inside the Ministry she was quick to realise the extent of the phenomenon gravitating above her head.

No one could be ready for such a thing and definitely not at the age of sixteen. People were screaming at her face, asking pointless questions relative to her commitment in the battle that had taken place a few months ago and about the murder itself, cameras were flashing on her face and she was more than greatful to have her father and Remus Lupin by both of her sides, her mother being present as well.

Once in the hallway leading to the hearing room, the adults decided to reassure Lillian the best they could, but she was lucid, they were as frightened as her. They still didn't understand how it was possible that the Ministry could make a such a mistake by publishing Lillian's name in the Daily Prophet now that they knew the Dark Lord was back and ready to take over the world.

"Don't let yourself be affected by what they will tell you," Henry started, "They will try to unsettle you, but you just have to be honest, all right?"

"Yes."

"We will take care of the rest," Remus added, giving Lillian a smile before looking at his childhood friend.

Ellen gave her daughter a heart-warming hug, Lillian patting her back as she tried to breathe deeply. The four of them walked inside the room, Lillian having to sit in the big chair in the middle as her parents and Remus were on the side.

Scrimgeour, the new Minister, was sitting alongside the entire Wizengamot, a cold look on his face.

"The hearing may begin."

Lillian was holding the hem of her shirt with a strong grip, her legs slightly shaking as she tried to compose herself. She kept looking all around her as she soon realised that way too many people were here, making her feel even more uncomfortable than before.

"Miss Henderson, you have been summoned here today to give explanations about the murder of Mulciber, murder that you are charged for," Scrimgeour announced, "First question, do you confirm assassination of dark wizard Mulciber?"

Lillian breathed in deeply, having a hard time keeping the eye contact with Scrimgeour, "I—I didn't want to—"

"Miss Henderson, we need a real answer, not excuses."

She knew she had to tell the truth, but it scared her like never before. The moment she would admit it, she would not be able to take this out of her head, the word 'assassination' was already echoing, her heart beating faster and faster as the Minister was putting pressure on Lillian's shoulders.

"Yes."

The silence was heavy and extremely uncomfortable as Scrimgeour let it sink in for all the wizards around, who would decide the fate of the teenager, before asking yet another question.

"Please, explain such gesture."

Lillian's response was firm and immediate, "He wanted to kill my father."

"Can someone confirm what Miss Henderson just said?"

Knowing that Henry's word would not count much since he was Lillian's father, Remus stood up, walking until he was standing beside the teenager.

"I can. I saw the scene unfold and I can testify that Lillian did this only to protect her father who would have received the Killing Curse without her."