xii. the reunion

« THE REUNION »

« THE REUNION »

"Neville!" Harry exclaimed, "Oh, you look—"

"Like hell, I reckon," Neville answered with a smile, "This is nothing. Seamus is worse."

Lillian couldn't help the huge smile stretching on her lips. She hadn't smiled like that in what felt like months and, for a second, she recalled all the memories she had in the Gryffindor's common room.

"Hey, Ab, we've got a couple more coming through," Neville added.

She didn't know why she acted this way but Lillian let out a shriek and jumped into the tunnel, engulfing Neville into a big hug. The boy laughed but responded with enthusiasm, hugging her back with tenderness.

"I'm so happy to see you," Lillian admitted, letting go of him.

Neville smiled, "So am I, Lilli. And I think that's the first time you ever hugged me."

Lillian crunched her nose in amusement, hitting him on the shoulder. He lifted his hands up in defense with a playful smile.

The four teenagers greeted Aberforth and started walking down the dark tunnel as the only light was provided by Neville's wand.

"I don't remember this on the Marauder's Map," Ron said.

"That's because it never existed 'till now," Neville explained, "The seven secret passages were sealed off before the start of the year."

Lillian rolled her eyes, "How surprising."

Harry and Ron chuckled. Even though they were all under an enormous amount of stress, it always looked like pieces of their true selves couldn't help but pop out here and there, somehow relaxing them for a few seconds.

"This is the only way in or out now. The grounds are crawling with Death Eaters and Dementors."

"How bad is it with Snape as Headmaster?" Hermione asked.

"Hardly ever see him," responded Neville, "It's the Carrows you need to watch out for."

"The Carrows?"

"Yeah. Brother and sister," Neville said, "In charge of discipline. They like punishment, the Carrows," he pointed a finger at his bruised face.

"They did that to you?" Hermione gulped, "Why?"

"Today's Dark Art lessons had us practicing the Cruciatus curse. On first years. I refused," Neville revealed, "Hogwarts has changed."

After walking for a long time, they finally reached the end of the tunnel. Neville turned around at the four teenagers he had grown so fond of and gave them a mischievous smile.

"Let's have a bit of fun, shall we?"

Neville pushed the big wooden door as a knot got twisted into the pit of her stomach once more. She couldn't believe they were back at Hogwarts. Her last prophecy flashed in her mind and she had to shake her head slightly to push away the image of her father being hit by the Killing Curse.