xv. double meaning (part 3)

« DOUBLE MEANING »

Until the whole room turned black.

Lillian breathed in slowly, suddenly wondering if she had been dreaming everything. But it couldn't be possible, even there she could still hear the sounds of forks picking at food, people biting harshly on their spoons, others laughing or simply speaking.

She couldn't see but she could feel her own grasp on the table therefore she was convinced to be awake. However, the similarity of her dream made her realise she probably had been warned clearly that something would happen.

And it was about to happen, now.

The minutes that ran off before her eyes felt the exact same it did when she had this nightmare the night before, just like hours. But, quickly, the darkness let appear some images in a flash, the Whomping Willow, Hogsmeade, the Burrow, her house, even the Ministry.

But, none of this made sense for the teenager. She was shaking on her seat, unable to speak or move.

"Lillian..." A voice whispered in a hiss.

It was the exact same voice she had heard in her sleep, the voice that had caused unstoppable pain inside her head.

"What an impressive witch.." the voice added, pausing between each word.

At this point, Lillian was breathing rapidly, as if she was having a panick attack and whimpered as the presence was back again, lingering against her body.

"But, you killed one of my men, therefore, I must kill one of yours."

New images started flashing, memories with Ron, Hermione and Harry, some with the twins as they played in a loop like a Russian roulette but it quickly came to a halt, a vision of horror drawing itself upon her eyes.

Her mother was on her knees, just outside the Shrieking Shack, the Dark Lord standing just behind her, his wand pointed against her head and a smile tugging at his lips in the worst manner.

"Say goodbye." Voldemort said and the view came back to normal.

She was back in the Great Hall, everyone still chatting and eating, just the way it was before her view had turned black. Only Harry and Hermione were looking at her with concern, Harry snapping his fingers in front of her face to bring her back to reality.

"Lilli—"

"Oh no, oh no no no!" Lillian gulped, pushing herself out of the bench.

Dumbledore and Snape had exchanged an equally scared glance as they watched the scene unfold in front of them, now sure that Voldemort had found a way inside Lillian's brain.

From a stranger's eyes, it looked like the Gryffindor just looked in a hurry, not in a life-threatening situation. And it is not when Harry and Hermione ran after her that the other students worried but when Dumbledore and Snape chased after them.

"Lilli! What's happening?!" Harry praised.

"My mum! My mum.." Lillian started, pushing past the doors leading outside the castle. "He's gonna kill her!"

"What? Who?" Harry and Hermione asked in unison as they blocked Lillian from running any further.

"Voldemort."

Harry's face turned grave as he pulled out his wand out of his pocket, "Where?"

"Oh no, you're not coming."

"Of course I am, Lilli I am serious! He is dangerous!"

"You think I'm stupid?!" Lillian shouted. "Of course I know he is dangerous! But I am not bringing the wizard he wants to kill the most with me!"