xv. dynamic change

« DYNAMIC CHANGE »

« DYNAMIC CHANGE »

Lillian, Ron, Hermione and Harry penetrated inside the Great Hall. Some walls and columns had been completely destroyed, all piled up near the large door. The place had been entirely reorganized as the tables and benches had been scouted over to the side. It looked more like a giant hospital and temporary cemetery than the place where they'd have lunch and first-day gatherings.

All the survivors were rather quiet, talking discreetly, but voices echoed against the tall walls, creating a hostile environment that fit perfectly with what everyone was going through.

Every step Lillian took felt like the sharp blade of a knife smoothly cutting her throat, going all the way down her chest. Her eyes landed on the figure of her father, kneeling over a corpse, and she could hear him sobbing.

She felt like being stabbed right in the heart when he slightly moved his head towards the ceiling, revealing the person he had been wiping for. Lillian stopped moving, she stopped breathing, her entire system shut down. She recognized Remus, resting with his eyes closed right next to the lifeless body of Tonks.

Another loud cry darted her attention and she saw the entire Weasley's family, Ron collapsing in George's arms. She muffled a choked cry when she saw Fred's body just behind Ron.

Lillian's breaths got significantly shorter and she started hyperventilating, grabbing Harry's arm to avoid falling backward. Her vision quickly shredded and everything started to spin all around her as she brought a hand over her neck. Harry kept calling out her name but she didn't hear a thing, instead, she let go of him and stepped back, tripping over her feet as she walked away, leaving the Great Hall as she desperately needed more air.

Her face closed up as she stood alone in the deserted Courtyard. She recalled Remus' and Fred's bodies. Henry's and Ron's agonizing cries resonated so loud in her ears she wondered if she wasn't still inside the Great Hall for a second. The freezing breeze slapped her and sadness clouded her features.

Lillian had focused so hard on the yet-to-come death of her father, she hadn't even imagined the same fate could happen to other people she cherished more than anything. She had told Remus that her father wouldn't survive, not only because she needed to get it out of her system, but mainly because she had hoped he would take her under his wing at the end of the war and that he would still be the father figure he had already been for years. But Remus was now dead. And her father was soon to be.

She understood that, if she ever survived this war, she would have to spend the rest of her life without her parents and without her godfather.

Her lower lip quivered and tears cascaded down her cheeks and she let out a piercing scream as she fell on her knees, her head falling back as her glistening eyes connected with the cloudy dark sky above her. And her cries only got louder as they matched the growing despair filling her heart and ripping off her soul in half.