vii. the date

« THE DATE »

Anxiety is an abnormal and overwhelming sense of apprehension and fear often marked by physiological signs, such as sweating, tension and increased pulse, by doubt concerning the reality and nature of the event to come, and by self-doubt about one's capacity to cope with it.

In front of the bathroom mirror, Lillian stood anxious. She still recalled the way Ron had gone mad when Hermione told him his all time best friend was going on a date with Blaise the following day.

"Lillian!" Ron shouted impatiently from the common room.

Lillian came downstairs with her heart pounding in her chest, knowing that she would have to give explanations to Ron. "Yes?"

"Hermione told me you were going on a date with.. Zabini?!" Ron said calmly, however crinkling his nose in disgust as he pronounced Blaise's name.

"Yes, what's the matter?"

Ron shot his eyes wide open, taking in a large breath, "Wh—What's the matter?! He is in Slytherin! And he is arrogant a—and there's even this rumor that he's dated every girl from the Slytherins and even from the Hufflepuff house!"

Lillian raised an eyebrow curiously, trying not to laugh at her best friend's behaviour. She had already seen Blaise walk around with different girls —being very close, from time to time but she had no idea he was kind of collecting them.

"It doesn't surprise me," Lillian said, shrugging her shoulders. "But it doesn't matter, I'm not in love with him, it's a simple date."

"Yeah? Well, what if he tries to bring you back to the Slytherin's common room after, uh?!"

"Do you really think I'd be so naive that I would actually agree to go there? Come on Ron, you know me better than that."

Ron frowned and sat down on the couch, "I know you, but not him. I mean, how can he get so many girls? I'm sure he puts something in their drink so he can do whatever he wants with them until he gets bored."

"If you want, I'll make sure to get the drinks so he can not put anything in mine."

"I still am not okay with it, Lilli."

Lillian laughed, patting him on the shoulder, "Ron, why do you react this way? I'm not going to marry him, it's just a date."

"If he does anything, I'll kill him," Ron mumbled, causing Lillian to laugh loudly.

But now, Lillian was doubting this little rendez-vous. After all, Blaise pretty much looked like what Ron had told her the day before. An arrogant and over-confident boy, mostly looking for popularity and girls. And she still hadn't gotten any reactions from Draco, neither did he glance her way the night before at dinner and he was not even in the Great Hall for breakfast or lunch.

"Starting to regret, aren't you?" Hermione said, watching her friend from her bed.

"Yeah, kind of." Lillian answered with a sigh.

"Then, don't go."

"What? No, no, I'm going."

"Why? If you don't want to, nothing's forcing you."

Lillian wished she could tell all the truth to Hermione, what had happened with Draco at the end of their fifth year and everything before, but she knew she couldn't because it was too big of an information for her to keep and not want to share with Ron or Harry.

And if the two boys knew about her attraction for Draco, she didn't even want to see or hear or even imagine their reactions.

"I'm nervous because this is my first date, I guess it's a normal feeling." Lillian said, mostly trying to convince herself.