xiv. lily

« LILY »

« LILY »

"I could ask you the same," Harry responded.

"You have something of mine," Draco said, "I'd like it back."

"What's wrong with the one you have?"

"It's my mother's," Draco said, "It's powerful, but it's not the same. Doesn't quite understand me. Know what I mean?"

"Why didn't you tell her?" Harry asked, "Bellatrix."

Draco tensed up and Lillian understood he hadn't mentioned this part of the story to Goyle and Zabini.

"You knew it was me," Harry added, "You didn't say anything."

"Because he is a coward," Lillian smirked, "He has always known which side was the right one. And he's had plenty of opportunities to step up. But he never did."

Draco furrowed his eyebrows, locking eyes with Lillian, somehow feeling challenged and betrayed at the same time. They knew a time like this would eventually happen. Where they would have to face each other and show their true allegiance. Lillian never once doubted what she was fighting for. The same couldn't be said for Draco.

He had been raised in one of the most conservative families in the world of magic and was persuaded, for years, that the moral standards he had learned to respect and cherish were the right ones. But Lillian made him realize that some things just didn't seem right anymore.

Yet, whenever he felt like he could do something, he ended up being paralyzed. The last time he wished he would have done something, he was in the Manor, watching Lillian being tortured by his father.

But he didn't move a muscle. Instead, he stared, as his soul was snatched away from him a little more, trapping him permanently on the dark side. And from that moment on, as he was forced to listen to Lillian's painful cries, he knew he wouldn't ever be able to redeem himself.

"You don't even have anything to say to defend yourself," Lillian breathed out, "I feel sorry for you, really, I do."

"Come on, Draco," Goyle whispered, "Don't be a prat. Do him."

"Shut up, Goyle," Lillian spat, "He wouldn't hurt a fly even if his life depended on it."

Harry slowly pulled his wand from his jacket, as Draco nervously stepped forward.

"Easy."

"Expelliarmus!" Hermione shot, disarming Draco instantly.

Draco stumbled backwards and ran away, leaving the four teenagers in front of Goyle and Zabini.

"Avada Kedavra!" Goyle shot back, the spell easily avoided by Hermione.

"Stupefy!"

Out of fear, Goyle sprinted away, quickly followed by Ron who let out a loud scream.