Chapter 1. Aftermath

"Scott will you please hurry your ass up!" I shouted up the stairs as I leaned against the wall, crossing my arms over my chest and letting out a huff of annoyance. He takes forever and a year to get ready for school in the mornings. Unlike myself, Scott doesn't give himself enough time to get everything done before we have to leave. Honestly, one of these days I'm just going to take the car and leave him here with his bike as means of transportation for school.

My mom instilled in our minds at a young age that we would have to work to get what we wanted; mainly because my deadbeat father had left my mom without financial support to raise a set of twins who happened to be more trouble than they're worth when it came to medical expenses and home repairs due to their foolish antics. As soon as Scott and I were able to start working and make our own money, we quickly began to do so. My brother was hired at the local Animal Clinic, which was a great job for him due to the fact that his boss adored him. I had been babysitting and working evening shifts at a grocery store for over a year now. And because we both saved up our money and combined it, we were able to buy a car that we had to share. It wasn't anything too fancy, just a 2009 silver Ford Focus, but the gas milage was great and affordable and it got us to and from school safely.

I heaved out yet another sigh as I waited on Scott. It was the first day of Sophomore year and due to my fear of being late for anything, I was now pacing in front of the door. I'm not quite sure when I started to get anxious about time, my mom said I've been like that for as long as she can remember, and it's something that drives me insane. There's just something about time that sets me on edge, maybe it's because I have no control over it, and I'm stuck with having to deal with it continuing to move on even though I'm not ready for it.

The sound of a door slamming upstairs drew my attention and when I spun around to see if it was Scott, I caught sight of him nearly falling down the stairs due to how fast he had been going. I stifled the urge to laugh as he wrapped his arms around the banister to keep himself from collapsing onto his knees in front of me. I bit down on my bottom lip and nearly choked out a laugh when he shot me an annoyed glare, "Shut up."

"I didn't even say anything." I argued as I watched him push himself up into a standing position and adjust his backpack. His hair was disheveled and only had one arm in his jacket; he looked like the definition of a hot mess.

His eyes narrowed, "You don't have to, I know what you're thinking." 

"That you're an idiot? Well, duh." I stated as he flipped me the bird and stormed past me out the front door. Instead of trying to hold back my laugh this time, I let it out and could hear him cussing me out as he stomped off the porch towards the car.

For some reason, Scott always drives. We both have our license and I actually scored better than he did, yet he's the one that drives. I've learned that it's best to not argue with him about the situation, because when I do drive all he does is complain and he's the worst backseat driver I've ever met in my life. As I stepped out of the house and closed the door, I made sure to twist the key in the lock to ensure that what few valuable things we have in our house don't get stolen. 

"Hurry your little ass up, Kasey!" Scott shouted from the car, he even honked the horn for added measure. The only reason he was rushing me, was because I had been rushing him moments before. I stuck my tongue out at him as I jogged to the passenger side of the car. Once inside I buckled my seatbelt and turned the radio on.

"Maybe if you would have gone to bed at a reasonable hour last night, you wouldn't have been struggling so hardcore this morning." I stated as he slammed his foot down on the gas and the car flew out of the driveway. The tires squealed loudly as he popped the car into drive and took off down the street.