Chapter 6. A Burning Revaltion

"Hey honey, it's mom... I know you're home alone, and I just wanted to make sure that you had the doors locked. I hate you being all by yourself, but there's leftover pizza in the fridge if you get hungry. I love you, see you when I get home." My mom's voice came through the answering machine as I glared at the stupid white box from my spot in the hallway.

Scott had left for his date about ten minutes ago, leaving me to be in the house all by myself. Normally, I wouldn't mind the alone time because very rarely do I ever get it, but for some reason I had the desire for company. The thought of sitting in my house alone all night made me uncomfortable. I was half-tempted to call Stiles and invite him over, but it's been so long since the two of us have hung out alone together-- and with the whole him calling me beautiful thing still hanging in the air between us, I didn't want to overstep any boundaries.

To be completely honest, I have no idea what's even going through my head with Stiles anymore. I hate to be cliche, but I have always loved the idea of a girl falling in love with her brothers best friend. In the movies and romance novels I've read, the cliche is always so heartwarming and refreshing to me. I love the idea of siblings having one person in their lives that is equally important to them both. It connects them, in a way.

I'm not saying that I'm in love with Stiles, but I do care for him quite a bit. I've known him for pretty much my entire existence and for some reason, I don't see him as a brotherly figure like I should. I see him as a safety net. I see him as a great person to grow old with. I don't think I'll ever be bored of his company. He always seems to make me laugh, even when I don't want to. He can sense when something is wrong with me in a moments notice. He's always there when I call, and no matter what the request is... he does it.

If I'm making him sound like the picture perfect guy that every girl dreams of having; it's because he is. Stiles is so genuine and sweet, even though he acts like a sarcastic idiot 99% of the time... he's so much more than that. He's strong and loyal. He doesn't ever give up, no matter what the fight may be. His intentions are always good, and he wouldn't harm a fly. He loves with every fiber of his being and he goes out of his way to make someone smile if they're having a bad day.

So why am I trying so hard to convince myself that I don't have feelings for him?

Oh yeah, because he has a thing for Lydia Martin.

I let out a sigh as I realized that Stiles would never go for me if he has his sights set on Lydia. As I said before, we are total opposites. I have no desire to be anything like Lydia, either. I don't like wearing heels, I don't like wearing makeup, I hate getting my nails done, the only shopping I like to do is grocery shopping so I can pick out want I plan on eating for the week. Why would Stiles ever have feelings for me when I have nothing in common with the girl that he does have feelings for?

Suddenly, lounging on the couch watching trash television lost it's appeal to me. I glanced around the living room briefly before ascending the staircase and making my way to my bedroom so I could go lay down and wallow in my self pity. I don't know why I'm upset, it's not like I can't get a boyfriend. I'm sure there are plenty of boys that would want to go out with a me... I mean, I did have my first kiss in like the fourth grade. I'm not undesirable... but I guess I am to the one guy that I want to be desired by.

As I passed Scott's bedroom door, I felt a gust of air brush against my arm. I turned to inspect the room, his curtains were flapping around due to the fact that he had had left his window open. I rolled my eyes and stepped into his room, making my way towards the window. I had to climb on top of his bed in order to get to the window, why he wanted to place his bed directly beneath his window is beyond me, but he did. Once I had the window pane secured and locked, I closed his curtains and slid off the bed.