13

Maya's POV

"All done." Daniel stepped down from the step ladder gripping the electrical drill in this grasp tighter.

"Thanks." I studied the large painting he had just helped me put up, to see if it was aligned properly.

"Seems alright." he folded his arms and stood beside me also staring at the art.

"Yeah." I nodded and began to walk away but was stopped by Daniel immediately.

"Maya, listen."

I turned to face him and hummed in reply.

Daniel stepped towards me and let out a sigh. "You seem to be hanging a lot with that Zayn guy."

I let out an exasperated sigh and rolled my eyes. "What makes you say that?"

"Sources." he casually shrugged. "You need to keep your distance from him Maya."

"And what if I don't want to?" I challenged. "I'd appreciate it if you and your rats stayed out of my business Daniel. I'll hang with whoever I please, thank you."

"Maya," he grabbed my arm. "I'm your brother for fuck's sake! I'm saying this because I care about you. I don't want you to go settling down with him or some shit."

"The only thing you care about, is your fucking reputation Daniel!" I whipped my arm out of his grasp. "Don't pretend to care about my life and well-being, when your head is too busy being up your own fucking ass! And if you really gave a shit about me, you'd know I'm not about setting down with anybody just yet."

"Whatever, but just stay away from Malik. I mean it Maya." he ordered pointing his finger at me as if I'd actually obey.

I huffed, feeling myself growing more irritated by the minute.

I really wanted to slap him.

"I'll fuck him if I please!" I yelled and stomped away not wanting to spend another moment in the presence of my ass of a brother.

"Maya!" I heard Daniel roar behind me, knowing I really pushed his buttons.

But I didn't give one shit. I already fucked Zayn either way.

"Maya I swear to God..." he caught up to me and spun me around by grabbing my shoulder.

"What?" I asked irritated.

Daniel let out a deep breath and closed his eyes trying to collect himself. "Maya." he said more quietly. "We need to stick with the plan."

That word. It made me cringe. It made that uncomfortable, sickening feeling return to the pit of my stomach.

"We need to keep a fair distance. Especially you. I don't need anyone catching feelings or especially him trying to even lay one finger on you. Because I swear to God Maya, I'll fucking break him."

I looked away from Daniel's intense stare. Whatever he was saying wasn't going to make a difference anyway. Zayn and I, both had crossed the line of only simply laying a finger on each other a long time ago. But Daniel was persistent.

"Fine." I sigh. "I won't get too close with him."

"There you go." a smile curved onto his lips.

I rolled my eyes and looked away.

"Um so Ian is having one of his parties again." Daniel said trying to change the topic and lifting up the mood in the room.

But that wasn't gonna affect me.

"And I give a shit because?"

"Oh come on, you know he always throws the best parties."

"Well lately they've been kinda shit, to be honest."