28

Maya's POV

I was pacing back and forth in front of the hospital room that Daniel was admitted in, in absolute fret. I was exhausted, angry, and anxious. One half of me wanted to storm into that room and slap my brother for putting his life in such danger while the other, wanted to hug him and never let go because I was glad he was alive.

Besides a shallow cut on the side of his head, Daniel had also gotten a deep gash on his knee which we later discovered about, once after Zayn saved him.

Zayn watched me sympathetically as he leaned against the wall, with his arms crossed. Even though I was occupied losing my shit over my careless brother, I was also concerned about how tired Zayn must have been feeling. After all, he did have quite the long and torturous day himself.

But him standing there watching me, with those tired eyes, was still something I was most grateful for in this very moment. Why? Because he was alive and well, and here with me.

And I loved him even more now- if that was even possible for me to, after the heroic choice he made of saving Daniel, even after knowing he had the fear of heights.

I stopped pacing to take a look at Zayn. His eyes were closed shut as a big yawn escaped him. He then brought his hand up to his mouth to cover himself, and then proceeded to rub his eye.

How darn adorable.

I stepped towards Zayn and watched him with pure adoration as he was engaged in trying to get rid of his tiredness. When he stopped to rub his eye and then opened both his eyes, he froze in place and stared back at me softly.

I slowly reached forward and caressed the side of his face, with my eyes never leaving his. My thumb began to stroke his lower jaw, which made Zayn let out a hiss making me stop abruptly.

"I'm still a bit sore." he whispered.

"I- I'm sorry. I didn't know." feeling a pang of guilt shoot me in the chest, I went to immediately retract my hand away from Zayn's face but was stopped by him, as his hand held onto my own.

"It's okay. You didn't mean to." he gave me a small smile. He then took my hand and planted a soft kiss on the back of it, making me helplessly smile in return.

"Thank you." I whispered as I rested my other hand right against his chest. "For saving my brother even after what he did to you."

"No need to." he intertwined his fingers with mine, of the same hand he still held in his grasp. "I don't act upon judgements that I have made about people previously, when it comes to doing the right thing. Sure I saved his life, but I still hate him. No offence."

I chuckled in reply. "None taken."

We were interrupted by the sound of the door to Daniel's room opening. I turned around to find a middle-aged, male doctor step out fixing the stethoscope around his neck.

He looked up towards me and gave me a warm smile. "Ms. Fernandes?"

"Yes, that's me." I nodded. "Is my brother okay?"

"He'll be fine. He should be properly back on his feet in about a week or so. Can't give the knee much strain."

"I understand Doctor." I nodded again. "Um may I see him?"

"You may." he smiled once more before stepping away from the door and walking away.

"I think you should go in only." Zayn said slipping his hand away from mine.

I frowned at him. "But I want you to come. And besides, I'm sure Daniel wouldn't mind if the person who saved his life, was in the same room as him." I crossed my arms smilingly.