Arranged Marriage to a Stranger (18, END of PART 1)

Note at bottom, MUST READ if you want a SEQUEL!!

Chapter 18

For about twenty minutes I sat on a chair in the dinning room while various female relatives ogled at the fairly large rock now on my left ring finger.

"Oh, its so beautiful Carmella..." One cousin purred enviously.

"Yes, I know, I have eyes too." I replied curtly. I wasn't sure why, but I felt unnerved, and it was cutting my patience short.

"And it was so sweet how Ezra proposed." Another cousin gushed.

"Yeah, yeah, real sweet. Uh, I'm thirsty, I'll be right back." I lied hastily before bolting from the room. Honestly, I felt kind of queasy, something just didn't feel right. I should be ecstatic right now, thrilled really. Ezra is perfect, he loves me, we're getting married, I'll be set for life.... I should be happy, dammit!! Why aren't I happy?!?

I walked over to my father's office and quietly slipped inside, I needed some solace and this is the one place in the house off limits to the guests. As I shut the door behind me, however, I realized I was not alone. Sitting at my father's desk, staring out the window, was my cousin Rafaela. Jeez, she looked like her whole world just collapsed or something.

"Hey Rafaela, what are you doin in here?" I asked.

Rafaela jumped slightly in surprise at my voice, but her shock was soon replaced with worry as a horrified look crossed her face.

"Oh, um... nothing. I was just about to leave." She replied nervously, before getting up and trying to hurry past me out of the room. As she slid by, I grabbed her arm hauling her to a stop. Enough was enough, why has Rafaela been avoiding me? I mean, we were never besties or anything, but we were pretty close. I know my arranged marriage with Ezra must have upset her, but its not like she had a real claim on him or anything.

"Alright Rafaela, what the hell is up with you and the cold front you've been giving me? Is this about Ezra?" I asked, the second question more softly.

Rafaela gasped, "You know?"

"Yeah, his parents told me." I answered, the guilt seeping into my body now.

"What?! He told his parents? I'm completely mortified!!" Rafaela whined as her head fell into her hands.

"Hey, don't be embarrassed, its no big deal. There is a great guy out there for you, and I'm sure you'll find him soon." I placed a hand on her shoulder in an attempt to comfort her, but I don't think it quite worked. Rafaela looked up from her hands with a wary, confused look on her face.

"Carmella, what are you talking about?" She asked. Is she seriously going to make me say it?

"You know, the whole arranged marriage. I know you were Ezra's backup, in case I didn't accept the offer, but since I did....." I trailed off before finishing my sentence. Rafaela's face was turning bright red while her eyes turned into murderous slits.

"Backup?!?" Rafaela screeched. Crap. Maybe I wasn't supposed to tell her that. "What do you mean 'backup'?!?" She demanded again.

"Um.. thats not what I meant...." I paused, the anger and hurt across her face freezing me in my tracks.

"I'm going to kill him!!" Rafaela spat out as she stomped to the hallway in search of Ezra. Aww poop. I am going to be in soo much trouble now.

I quickly followed after Rafaela. Hey, I'm only human, and if there's going to be a fight I want to see. I found her standing in the middle of the empty living room, glaring at Ezra who stood across from her, bewildered.