Whats Love Got to do With it? (9)

OK, just a few things i want to say:

1.) I know a lot of people were confused about the whole marrying but not be able to date thing, so hopefully this clears it up

2) i work at an organic supermarket, you'll understand why i point that out when u read this chap.

3.) i apologize if anyone is insulted by the section about mentally handicapped people, i did not mean it to be insulting

ok, thats it for now. enjoy.

Vote~ Comment~ Love 

~ Corinne

Chapter 9

"So let me get this straight. Ezra and I are arranged to be married, again, but are not allowed to 'date' because you think that the hormones they pump into non-organic cows to get them to produce more milk is causing Ezra and myself to become overly horny, and you don't want me getting pregnant? Did I get that right?" I asked our parents, who were now sitting around Ezra and myself in his living room, sipping coffee and eating cookies like they were British royalty or something. Hello?!? We live in New Jersey; people in Jersey don't sip anything!!!

"Yup, that's pretty much it" my mother replied with a smug grin on her face, "except I didn't use such brash words to explain it."

I rolled my eyes. "You realize that your reasoning behind this decision is completely and utterly retarded, right?" I asked, astonishment on my face as to how anyone could come up with that type of rationale.

"Mentally handicapped" my mother replied smartly.

Huh? "Are you calling me mentally challenged?!?" I accused my mother, and to think she gave birth to me.

"Stop being so overdramatic, will you, I was not commenting on your mental capacity, though after 17 years of living with you the quality of the part of your brain which controls decision making has come into question a few times. I was just correcting your word choice, the mentally handicapped community no longer agrees with the term 'retarded', so please refrain from using that word in public, I don't want you embarrassing me." My mother retorted curtly before gently dunking a cookie in her tea then biting it, her pinkie high in the air the entire time.

Well, I at least know one person in my family who is "mentally handicapped".

"So, it's settled then. Ezra and Carmella will refrain from spending time together outside of supervised family functions or other occasions for which permission is given. The wedding will be in April over Carmella's spring break, and the venue will be at our summer house down the shore." Lazar spoke. I silently praised myself for only allowing a small flinch to shake my body at the sound of his voice, and my mom says I can't control myself.

"Great, back to where it all started." Ezra muttered with a slight chuckle. 

"What was that, Ezra?" Ariel asked. I quickly nudged him in his ribs with my elbow, our parents definitely did not need to know about what went on at his summer house.

"Nothing." Ezra replied with a small grin on his face. Slowly, he reached his hand underneath the pillow and onto my lap, intertwining his fingers with mine, giving my hand a gentle squeeze. I guess living with Ezra forever won't be so bad, especially if he's half naked most of the time, which I'm pretty sure I can arrange.

Thinking about forever, "Umm, I have a question." I said, raising my hand in the process like an idiot as if I were in school. Maybe there is something wrong with my brain.

"Go ahead, sweetie." My dad answered with a chuckle.

"Ok, uh, what happens, you know, after the wedding?" I asked nervously, not sure if I would like their answer. I felt Ezra stiffen beside me, but ignored it, he probably saw a bug or something, that always makes my sister freak.

"Uh, Carmella, dear..." My mothered started uncomfortably. Crap, that can't be good.

"We already had this conversation, don't you remember? Before everything. You, me, your sister, after your dress fitting, at the restaurant, there was that one waiter there....." My mother trailed.

Oh My God, NOOO!!! I wasn't talking about that. Argh, bad images flashing through my head!! And I had just got them to go away too.

"Uh, yeah, I remember mom, but I wasn't talking about... that. Thanks for reminding me, though, really appreciate it." I replied with sarcasm. My mother gave me an impatient look.

"Then what are you talking about, Carmella?" She asked.

"I'm talking about after the wedding, and the honeymoon, when we come back home. Then what? We'll be married, but will we be living together? And if we are, where? And what about school, I'll still have like two and a half months to go, you know? I have to graduate, I did not just waste the last four years of my life in that place to not get something out of it, even if all it is is a piece of paper with my name on it and a crappy book full of crappy pictures of people I wont remember in ten years." I replied sarcastically, again, now beginning to get worked up.

"Oh, well, uh, I don't know. I mean, none of us.. we never really thought about afterwards. We were all too busy trying to make sure you actually made it to the wedding we never even got a chance to think about afterwards. Ariel?" My mother asked, unsure of, well, everything now I guess.

This is just great, they try to dictate how I'm going to live my life, and they don't even have a plan set out?!? I knew it, I'm going to end up on the streets in the city, pregnant and toothless, dancing to Lady Gaga songs with a used paper cup in my hand to collect coins from Japanese tourists as they take photos of me to show their friends back home how pathetic Americans are. I will be a disgrace to this country.

"Look, its late and its been a long day, how about we all call it a night and discuss this issue tomorrow. There is still time to figure things out, so everything will be fine, ok?" Ariel asked cheerfully, though you could clearly see worry in her eyes. Yup, look who dropped the ball now.

"Yes, I think that's a good idea too. We'll see you all tomorrow. Come Carmella." My mother called. Jeez, what did she think I was, a puppy? With a huff, I pushed myself up off the couch and moved to follow my mother, a very sour look on my face at the outcome of the day.

I expected Ezra to release my hand, which he had held the entire time, when I got up but was surprised to find he wouldn't. Instead, he pulled my hand back, towards his face, and planted a gentle kiss on my knuckles. Slowly, he reached into his pocket and pulled out the ring he had proposed to me with, what seems like a century ago, and placed the ring on my finger.

"I believe this belongs to you, and this time, please, don't take it off." Ezra spoke coyly. I couldn't stop the smile spreading across my face even if I tried.

"I love you Carmella." Ezra whispered, sincerity clear in his voice.

"I love you too." I replied, slightly taken aback by the emotion coursing through me as I uttered those words. Crap! I've got it so bad.