Children Of Unmei: Chapter 4

Chapter 4: Bring Back Eluna

Dorothy Beat

My mind is on a race right now. The fact that another kid wants to attend Dark Academy added to my problem. She can see and read through minds. Mental ability—which can be rarely found in the academy today. Of course. The member of the board wants the students with mental ability to be transferred on the second campus. I shook my head continually. Thinking about it makes me want to go to bed and be ill ceaselessly. The things they do… just…

         “So why do I have this feeling that earlier you don’t want me to go to that academy, despite the fact that you’re one of the instructors there.”, Yame asked, interrupting my thoughts. I glance at her and I felt my face run out of blood together with the loud pound in my chest. I can’t tell her.

         “No. N-not like that.”, gosh! Why do I feel nervous all of the sudden? Dorothy, relax. She’s just kid and soon one of your students. “J-just making sure that you’re willing to attend the academy.”, I said. I saw her nod her head as she chew her fries. I hope she won’t ask anymore questions not until we reached the academy. But we cannot go depart from here without Eluna. I wander around the street thinking where she could be. Eluna Field is one of my apprentice and the most mischievous, badly behaved most of the time and naughtiest student in the senior level. She’s a fugitive type of girl meaning she always run away from classes and out of the academy. Now, I’m assigned to look for her again in this village.

         “Aw.”

         I heard a whimper sound next to me and saw Yame hold her head like she is having a headache. “Are you okay?”, I asked, looking at her then to the road alternately.

         “Yeah. I just got this funny feeling again.”, she responded as she glance back at me. And I was surprised and stunned to what I saw. On her middle forehead is a diamond and it’s shining brightly in color of emerald green! It kinda looks familiar to me; I know I’ve seen something like that long ago. Oh, yeah! I remember during my grade school at Dark Academy, our instructor  often show us a photo of legendary people with same stone on their foreheads and he said they are called Seeker. I’ve never seen one personally but it’s clear in my memory that it’s the same emblem on her forehead. And it means someone with maryoku is around. It must be Eluna!

Yame Ayazawa

I saw Dorothy’s reaction when she takes a look at me. It’s like she have seen some kind of ghost or devil in me. Is that how horrible I look right now? I fix my one-sided bangs to compose myself but stop when I lay a hand on something hard in my forehead. I draw the compact powder on my backpack and reflect myself in the mirror. I was as surprise as Dorothy when I saw a diamond on my forehead. And it’s shining in emerald green! What is this thing? I was about to ask Dorothy when all of the sudden, she stepped on the car’s accelerator.

     “Oh, my gosh! What are you doing?”, I asked anxiously when the car is almost flying in the air. I don’t want to die yet and most of all, I don’t want to die in a car accident. We stumble on a lot of street vendor’s different merchandise and they shatter all over the place. I saw them give ground for Dorothy’s Innova and run terrified. “Dorothy, stop!”, I shriek repeatedly. But no matter how hard I do, she seemed to hear no one as she keeps steering the wheel and rove around. I cock my head out of the window and scream out at the people to back off because driving beside me is an out of control school instructor. Everyone on the way seems to hear me except for a bunch of kid playing as they cross the street.

         “No, no, no! You are going to hit them! Dorothy, no! Stop!”, I said as I steal the wheel from her hold. Then we stop. In the middle of screaming and the sound of police mobile car, we finally stop. Dorothy step out of the car and I was left there still shock thinking that I get myself into trouble with this reckless instructor. I relax myself and look out of the window through the driver’s seat. I saw Dorothy grab a girl’s arm then a police walk to her.

         “Uh-oh.”, I said as I step out of the car too. The police asked something to her but she just show him an I.D and his stern look changed then flew away. Whoa! Is that how influential Dorothy is in this village? But despite that she shouldn’t be so careless about her driving! Just look at what she has done. Vegetables and fruits devastated everywhere. Broken ceramics and plastic ware all over. Just a complete mess. I walk towards the poor vendors as they collect their goods. I can’t bear the sad and dismay look on their faces so; I pull out my wallet from my backpack. But to my surprise, I don’t have enough cash to give them.

         “Hey, we need to go.”, said the voice behind me. It’s Dorothy on her stupid wheels again. I sneer at her, showing I’ve lost my respect for her.

         “Look what you’ve done. Isn’t it just fair to give them a little?”, I said, holding up my ATM card. Dorothy ignores what I said but point at the corner with the ATM machines. I withdraw some money and then asked, “Do I need money in the academy?”

         “Not necessary.”, said the girl from the passenger’s seat as she peeks outside. She grins widely- a sign of a healthy youth that I once had. But I can gain it back, right? I smile, too.

         “Here,” I said and handed $1,300 to an old man. “Please take this and we’re really sorry for the damage.”, then hop in the car at the front seat.

         “You give them all your money?!”, asked the girl from the back. I look back at her and saw her feet up on the back rest of Dorothy’s seat. That looks funny.

         “Yep. You said I won’t need them.”, I replied.

         “Way too cool, man.”, she said as she grins at me and hold her hand up for a high five. We both laugh after our hands crashed.

         “Oh! You, two, stop. You’re giving me headache.”, Dorothy snaps at us, making our way to the academy.