Children Of Unmei: Chapter 19

Chapter 19: Off To Go

“Now, don’t watch a lot of DVD movies and will you please be serious about your studies?”, Mori said to her younger brother, Jether, as they walk down the stairs. Mori is carrying her peach backpack which looks heavy while her brother’s holding a paper bag. He just nods to what his sister is saying with annoyance in his face. Yep, today we’re off to the second campus and will begin our ‘quest’. Nico and Jake are sitting on the stoned bench near the middle building’s main door while Ruth and I are standing there. All of us have our packed things.

        “I am so jealous why the five of you are chosen to go to that ‘quest’. But why are they taking a dumb like you with them?”, Jether asked her sister when they reached us.

        “Oh, don’t be a fool! I know you’re worried about me but I’ll be fine.”, Mori said. Anyways, e told Jether and Mick about our quest but not the full details though they promised to keep them a secret. They also made us promise to come back sound and safe. Oh, how I wish we really could.

        “I’m worried that you’ll just hassle them on the way.”, Jether said to Mori, but she just laugh it off. “Anyway, Mick is still in his class but he wants me to give these things to you.”, he said when he turns to me. He handed me the black paper bag he is holding. It has a huge letter ‘X’ on its sides. What could be inside this suspicious looking bag? “We made them last night.”, he added.

        “Let me see.”, I mumbles and peek on the paper bag. I was confused when I saw computer headphones inside. “Okay, what are these headphones for exactly?”, I asked as I pull out one.

        “Hey, it’s not an ordinary headphone! It’s one of our communication system.”, Jether said.

        “Communication system?”, Ruth asked.

        “Yeah. Go and wear one, president. You, too, Yame.”, Jether ordered us. Ruth pulls out one from the paper bag and wears it. I did the same thing. “Now, press the red button which is on the left side near the microphone and it’ll work. You can communicate through it wherever you are in the town.”, he explains.

        “Really?”, I asked in amazement. I pull down the microphone and put it on test. It’s really working! “Wow! This is really helpful, Jether. Tell Mick that I owe him a lot.”, I said.

        “No problem.”, he said. “There are also radio phones there but it’s rechargeable and we only came up with three while we made nine of those headphones. One radio phone is in my room.”, he continued as I search the paper bag.

        “That is really great. That way we can still communicate about what’s going on here and there.”, I said in a smile.

        “Oh, you finally made something useful!”, Mori said, hugging her brother.

        “Get off me, dummy!”, Jether struggles from his sister’s arms. The both of them look funny and cute at the same time. They sure will miss each other.

        “Everyone looks prepared now.”, a familiar voice came behind me. I quickly look back and saw Instructor Shinri standing there. I felt like I was frozen right there when we met each other’s eyes. After that night, we haven’t talk to each other formally. I even wonder if Lady Mara told him that we’ve talked about our connection to each others. Now that he is standing here, what should I say? “Shall we go now?”, he asked in a smile.

        “Where’s Lady Mara?”, asked Jake who stood up and walk towards us. The instructor looks back at him.

        “She’s busy building protection walls over the campus, I guess. She said it will be necessary to protect the students and everyone here in case the board members found out about the plan.”, he explains. “She just don’t want to disappoint someone.”, he added when he look at me and smile warmly.