Children Of Unmei: Chapter 13

Chapter 13: The Party

Will it rain today? That’s the question in my mind as I walk to our classroom, looking up at the dark gray sky. The weather suits my feeling today. I feel kinda funny. I don’t know but I don’t feel right— like I’m losing every inch of energy in my body… maybe because I know the fact that something’s about to happen today. The board members will be here later and they’ll surely take another student. But if Dorothy is right about Alena— that she reported about me— then their target is me. How am I supposed to say no to them? Things aren’t that easy. With a deep breath, I open the door of our Music Class. I almost tripped off when a kid welcomes me inside. The kid’s wearing a green coat and pants, holding a bag in his right arm and a white folder in the other. The kid almost bumps into me when a fluffy thing crosses the gap between us, making the kid impossible to touch me. I stare at the thing closely and I realized that it’s actually a cloud!

    “I-I’m sorry.”, apologizes the kid, bowing his head so low towards me. I was about to answer when he sprint out on the hallway.

    “Vann!”, yell Ruth catching up with the kid but he was gone. “H-hey.”, she said shyly when “Why are you laughing, Yame?”, she asked confusedly.

    “Oh, nothing. I, uh, just thought he’s… sweet?”, I babbles not knowing what’s the right thing to say. It’s not my first time to receive something from an admirer but that Vann looks like he’s only twelve or thirteen. A little brother. “I guess, I should say thanks for this.”, I added with more sincerity when Ruth didn’t say a thing. She nods her head and smile feebly in agreement then her eyes gawk in front of the classroom. I look at where she is looking but it’s just an empty floor. I look back to her again and realize that she isn’t looking at anything at all. She is in the other dimension again, as his twin brother says. “Anything wrong?”

    “N-no. Nothing at all.”, she answers eagerly but I wasn’t so pleased at her answer.

    “Are you thinking about Eluna?”, I asked her. Ruth’s eye seems to be more expressive when she heard it.

    “How did you know?”, she asked back when she look back at me.

    “Just a guess.”, I said. And that is the truth. I don’t have to read her mind at all to know that because her act shows it. After she listened to Eluna’s voice message yesterday, she had been like this. “So… that’s it?”, I asked again. She nods. I nod too, slowly, as I rove my eyes around the room. The door is half open with students standing there as if they are guarding, some are playing the piano and guitar while some are chatting with their own topics. Instructor Wilson isn’t arriving yet for the discussion.

    “She’s doing her own investigation.”, Ruth mumbles after a while.

    “Probably.”, I answer in a nod though it don’t seem like a question to me. Ruth sighs. “Why are you so worried?”, I asked curiously. Ruth takes a few seconds before she came up with an answer.

    “Eluna was almost like a friend.”, she said in whisper.

    “Almost?”, I asked again.

    “Instructor Gem often pick on me even before. Eluna once stood up for me but the friendship that was about to begin ends that same day. She overheard me and Instructor Gem talking… about it, you know?”, she explains.

    “Uh-huh.”

    “That’s it. She told me to stand up for myself but I said no. Of course, she doesn’t understand and got mad. I never had the chance to explain because she never speaks to me again.”, she continued. I see… that was what Ruth’s thinking since the day I first met her. “She said I am a coward and I guess I really am.”