Children Of Unmei: Chapter 15

Chapter 15: Revealed

Yame Ayazawa

My frightened feeling dissolves into a complete confusion when a board member called Lady Mara hugs me so tight. Is she killing me through this hug? No, I don’t feel the intention of killing in this gesture. I glance at Instructor Shinri who looks as shock as I do. Why did he bow and saluted to this lady? Is he on their side? They might be planning to kill me after Dorothy! I shiver when I remembered Dorothy’s lifeless face and tears started to stream down again. No! I can’t show my weakness to my opponents. That’s the Children of Unmei’s number one rule. “What’s going on?”, I asked as soon as I free myself from the black-dressed lady then wipe my face quickly. Her eyes… it wasn’t empty and dead unlike when I first look at it back in the cafeteria.

    “Anastasio.”, she called to the instructor in its first name instead of answering me. “She I our youngest sister.”, she said. My mind echoes the word ‘sister’ as the instructor and I stare unto each other. I was in wide eyes and my heart beats really fast. That was a revelation. They are… my family?

    “She is Ayame?”, Instructor Shinri asked. Lady Mara nods in confirmation. I am Ayame.

    “H-hold it.”, I said raising my hands. “The t-two of you knows each other? And you’re telling him that I am your sister? I-I really don’t understand!”, I yell over Lady Mara. I am really confused but at the same time scared. Lady Mara started to walk far from me.

    “Our mother was worried when she found out that Anastasio and I inherited our father’s side’s maryoku. But she was more worried when she saw that familiar stone on your forehead. Mother wants a simple and normal life for us which they never had. Though our mother is a normal human, her life with father was never that simple.”, she said. “But what mother wants for us never came. Our father died in a battle then grandmother brought me in the academy and after Anastasio’s 5th birthday, he was also brought here. When you were born, mother got the feeling that you will be in danger if she’ll let you live with us so she sent you away from home.”

    “She… sent me away.”, I repeated her last sentence once but it repeated a lot of times in my mind. I don’t know if what she’s saying is the truth but it got a huge impact and it hurts. To know that my mother sent me away quite hurts. Tears started to fall down my cheeks again and it’s getting blurry.

    “Yes, but she has her reasons, Ayame! Mother loves you so much and we love you as well. We don’t want to put your life in danger. So mother brought you to an orphanage.”, she explains.

    “No!”, I yell. “H-how sure are you that I am your sister? That I am… Ayame?!”, I asked wrathfully. Lady Mara walks towards me again. I was thinking what she would do now when she grab my shoulder and slip off the sleeve, revealing some skin.

    “That mark. The three of us have the same.”, she said. She shows me her palm and I saw a triangular mark there with a diamond shape inside it. The same as the mark at the back of my shoulder. Lady Mara look back at the instructor and he unbutton his shirt. He shows the same mark on his chest. “I put a spell on your mark to serve as a tracker. I’ve been looking after you eversince and never cuts the connection.”, she added as she let go of my shoulder. I thought I was going to fall down but I didn’t. Lady Mara took a step away and turns to Instructor Shinri’s direction. “I felt you’re coming that is why I sent Anastasio here to protect you from the board members. I’m sorry, I kept everything to myself.”

    “You’re lying.”, I said bitterly. I wanted so bad to believe in her but my mind says a lot of ‘what if’. What if she’s tricking me? What if she just wanted to control me? What if she just want to make me believe then kill me? But what if… they really are my family?