Meetings (TBS/Newt/Paul)💜

Newt:

-Reader POV-

I'd been in the glade for a week. Everything was chaotic and I'd been shoved in my room the second I got here, caged and kept there like an animal. I was put in seclusion, only seeing the occasional Thomas or Teresa when they brought supper up.

I had to get out of here.

By some instinct, I knew to grab all the flexible material in my room. Sheets, pillow cases, blankets, clothes... Anything. I tied it all together and threw it out the window every once in a while until it got close enough to to the ground. Then I turned the tie even more and shimmied down. Once my feet were about half a foot off the ground, I let go, falling softly on my feet. I crouched, still, looking around.

Finally.

I was free.

There was maybe an hour until my next meal, so I had to find somewhere far fast. I looked around and saw rickety buildings. Then I noticed the huge forest.

Hm.... Maybe.

I smiled when I saw the walls. I saw the openings and the dark exterior. I knew nothing about what this place was. Teresa and Thomas both didn't talk to me. There was something about me being a girl. A girl who died.

But I don't know the exact details.

I finally chose to run to the openings, having watched them close every night and then reopen the next morning. I had about thirty seconds before the doors closed. Then I had all night to make a plan and come back, forcing them to explain.

My feet pounding on the grass as I took off running. I realized too late that there were Gladers moving about around the field and they saw me as I ran in plain sight in almost broad daylight. I bit my lip and hoped that no one would get collected enough to intercept me.

"Hold up... Stop her!"

Shuck.

Yes. I'd already developed the Glader slang I'd heard. It was the only thing I knew about this place and I clung to it.

I raced to the entrance but was stopped as someone snatched at my arm. I fell, my face hitting the dirt hard. I groaned but forced myself up, staggering to my feet. Thankfully the person who grabbed me went down with me too and they had to struggle up as well. My ankle hurt, but I kept running. I was half way there. The doors started closing, groaning. I pumped my legs harder.

"Wait! Stop! Don't go in there!" I ignored the voice, despite the tug of something alerting me. His tone was worried and frightened. Desperate.

My brain also registered it was a he.

"You'll die!"

I froze in my tracks. What?!

Instantly I realized that I'd screwed myself by stopping and wouldn't get up enough momentum to make it. So, I spun around, looking for another quick options. I cursed under my breath and looked to the woods.

Fine.

That would work.

I took off again, significantly more tired. But I had to keep going. Thankfully the adrenaline kept my feet up to the same speed and kept my eyes clear, because I wanted to cry. I wanted to curl up in a ball and give up and sob. I was terrified.

There were boys coming at me now but they were too far. I think I'd hit the woods before they hit me. But then I thought of the boy behind me. I dared not turn back but instead plunged head on into the darkness of the woods. I raced through the trees, bobbing, weaving, and making a painful amount of noise.