Runner (Newt) 💜

I'd been in the glade two months. My second Greenie had come since I was a Greenie and everything was good. Except... I pulled Minho over. "Dude."

His shoulders slumped. "What?" he whined back.

Standing straight, I met his eyes. "I want to be a Runner," I said, cutting to the chase.

His gaze went wide. "But-"

My hands waved through the air to cut him off. "Sh. Counsel meeting. Go crazy, I don't care. I want to be a Runner. I'm fast, I have amazing stamina, and I know the maze from studying it with you guys. I know the rules and am excellent at directions and getting around fast. Come on!"

Begrudging but not wanting to piss me off, Minho groaned. "...Meeting."

I nodded. "Meeting."

He sighed and nodded and we were off. We pulled Alby aside and explained the situation. Alby went pale... Well, as pale as he could. "New-"

Annoyance bubbled yo in me as I cut him off as I did Minho earlier. "Hush! Just do it," I snapped. Alby held up his hands in surrender and gathered everyone for an 'important meeting' without telling them why.

Determination and excitement bubbled up in me as I sat in my hair until everyone came in. Newt came in last. He spotted me and was immediately confused. I gave him the cold shoulder, knowing what was coming next. "Well, uh, everyone's here. Y/n, take it," Alby announced, wary.

Clearing my throat, I stood solidly and looked at everyone. "I want to be a Runner." Immediate uproar. I pounded my foot on the floor. "SLIM IT!" I hollered, almost roaring. Everyone looked at me, shocked, sagging down. I gave the case I gave Minho and Alby, adding a few things about me being useless here because I couldn't do anything and how the exercise would be really good for me and blah blah blah. I'd practiced this speech for hours. It was good.

Everyone sat, astonished, not being able to think of anything to say to fight me on this. I folded my arms triumphantly. "No," a voice coldly stated.

My head whipped to who I knew was speaking. "Why not?" I snapped.

"Because no!" Newt snapped back.

Anger rose as I I looked at him, eyes slit. I leaned forward. "You really want to do this?" I asked quietly. That was my dangerous question. 'Do you really want to pull that?' Bam! A trap went off. 'Do you really want to say that?' Bam! Punched in the face. 'Do you really want to go there?' Bam. Lost. 'Do you really want me to do that?' Bam. No sex (Which Newt always complained was the worst).

Newt seemed to consider a second, weigh his options. This was a dangerous situation for both of us. We stared each other down for a very VERY long time. "So much sexual tension!" Minoh teased to try and break the awkwardness everyone else felt. A few chuckles sounded, breaking the intense air between our stare.

Alby shot me a look as he caught my gaze. "It has unanimous to get a job change. You know that, Y/n." Shuck. I forgot that. "All in favor of letting Y/n be a Runner?" Everyone slowly raised their hand after slowly shrugging and avoiding Newt's gaze. Everyone, of course, but Newt. I stared daggers at him. "Everyone against it?" Newt paused, eyes locked with mine again. Then I blinked. He smirked and in painfully slow movement, raised his hand. Groans passed through the room "Settled. Y/n is not a runner. Dismissed."

Frustration wet my eyes and I turned and shot out of there, running to the woods. I kicked the dirt and plopped down. I couldn't still though and ended up just cursing then standing again, running to a tree not too far away to climb it. I had to admit I was a crappy climber. I slowly made my way up. When I got a good way up I balanced on my favorite branch and closed my eyes. I slammed my head against the trunk, not hard enough to hurt myself too much but enough to hurt.